Pork Belly

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, pork belly isn't something that has been in my food history. I've heard of it, of course. I've heard of it in reference to Southern cooking and Asian cooking but I'm certainly not familiar with it. While at Costco yesterday, I came across pork belly and decided to try it. Pinterest is amazing and I found a recipe (a la David Chang of Momofuku) and cooked up half of the pork belly I purchased (there were 4 strips about 2" wide). We both said WOW with the first bite. It was an eye opener for both of us but now we're left asking... what else can we do with this?

Those of you who cook pork belly, what do you do with it? What's your favourite method of preparing it? What do you serve with it?

We will definitely making it again (I only cooked up half of what I bought, after all) but we'd love some ideas.

oh it is delicious, My hubby makes it with a lot of garlic and pepper, then after few hours he bakes it, :)

We marinate it in soy, bbq sauces, sesame oil, oo, honey, then put it on the bbq and cook it really well. Serve salads or baked vegs from the oven.

I just saw this post and realize it is a bit old but I had to mention what we used to do with pork belly in our camping sandbuggy days. We would thread it on skewers with onions and roast it over the campfire catching the dripping on a piece of bread then make a sandwich with it. :p I did not say it was healthy but it sure was good. If we did not have pork belly we would use thick-sliced bacon. Yummy.

Pork belly is actually healthy even we were feed the info that is not , all false information about cholesterol and excetera. My mom was rubbing pork belly (the pieces) in salt, pepper , fresh garlic a lot of garlic and after few days you cut is thinly and put on bread like a sandwich yammy

I can't eat pork but all your suggestions sound so tasty, especially Dahila's. I'd probably have to go to a butcher to get a small enough quantity to not waste it.

Pork belly is actually healthy even we were feed the info that is not , all false information about cholesterol and excetera. My mom was rubbing pork belly (the pieces) in salt, pepper , fresh garlic a lot of garlic and after few days you cut is thinly and put on bread like a sandwich yammy
That is really true, and I love pork.

When I was diagnosed with diabetes , I got Dr. Bernstain book and follow his diet for 4 years. It is high protein, high fat and no carbs. It was tough on the begging. Imagine my surprise when my cholesterol was lower and lower. I am a senior most of us has high one. Finally my doc told to do what I do and he does not even mark on sheet the cholesterol . It is not fat or met that higher cholesterol but sugar, flour and all grains
I know many people will think I am crazy to do this statement, maybe I am but I do understand the blood analyses and what they say :) I eat pork fat everyday in different form, I stopped using any oil to fry just pork fat, (smoke point over 380 Celsius) Bacon every day 2 slices of that , more will contain some carbs :)
Arimara I am so sorry you can not eat pork products :(

When I was diagnosed with diabetes , I got Dr. Bernstain book and follow his diet for 4 years. It is high protein, high fat and no carbs. It was tough on the begging. Imagine my surprise when my cholesterol was lower and lower. I am a senior most of us has high one. Finally my doc told to do what I do and he does not even mark on sheet the cholesterol . It is not fat or met that higher cholesterol but sugar, flour and all grains
I know many people will think I am crazy to do this statement, maybe I am but I do understand the blood analyses and what they say :) I eat pork fat everyday in different form, I stopped using any oil to fry just pork fat, (smoke point over 380 Celsius) Bacon every day 2 slices of that , more will contain some carbs :)
Arimara I am so sorry you can not eat pork products :(
1- I don't think that's crazy at all. You're actually proving an audible book I have right. If your doctor is on board with it... I am a little jelly. NY doctors (many of them from my experience) are trash.

2- I haven't eaten pork on a consistent level since I was twelve. I can eat bacon but that doesn't end well most of the time (it doesn't help that i'm a little neurotic when it comes to eating that). In truth, I might consider eating pork again. It will be a tough painful road but my skin will thank me for it (I hope so since I like lard soap but it breaks my face out).

Face is different story , I do not use lard soap on my face . If you decide to start to eat pork start in tiny portions one week on gram two weeks from that higher the amount. I told my doctor that I follow Dr. Bernstain diet and he ok with it as long as my bg stays on the same level.
I go father; most doctors are trash there are not compassionate doctors anymore, they are just the money makers, They do what they are told to do. Righ now in my city the only way I see a doc , I have to go to hospital and they will send me home of course,

@Dahila, I find your statement about Drs. offensive. We cannot say most Drs. are trash. That's not what we are finding in this covid outbreak. And besides this is a food forum where we can share good food and drink recipes without undue criticism.
i did not say all doctors I said most , sorry it is my experience and not only from one country, The only good doctors I found it was in Spain but it was 30 years ago , now is different situation. Would like to change my mind and give me some examples of excellent doctors, real ones, who actually care enough for patients that they are looking for other option instead of stuffing us with toxic medication? Why alternative medicine is banned, Why every doctor you see prescribes Statins; even they do a lot of damage in body...........

@Dahila, I find your statement about Drs. offensive. We cannot say most Drs. are trash. That's not what we are finding in this covid outbreak. And besides this is a food forum where we can share good food and drink recipes without undue criticism.
I under stand where you are coming from but in my experience, I will not change that view either. My neurologist is the only doctor that actually thought to send me for several blood tests so hopefully, lupus can be ruled out for why I developed aphasia. EVERY other doctor I've seen has been dismissive and attributed my aphasia to conversion disorder, which I knew it could not have been because I aquired that condition before major stressors happened that would have caused it. While seeing a counselor has helped me cope with the changes in my life, my speech and reading (to a lesser extent, my writing) still need some help to get to where I feel less awkward speaking to people again. So people can suck it up and deal as far as I'm concerned. A lot of these newer, greedy, heartless doctors, if they survive this, I hope they become better doctors and people out of this and learn some humanity. Medicine is to heal not line pockets.

I under stand where you are coming from but in my experience, I will not change that view either. My neurologist is the only doctor that actually thought to send me for several blood tests so hopefully, lupus can be ruled out for why I developed aphasia. EVERY other doctor I've seen has been dismissive and attributed my aphasia to conversion disorder, which I knew it could not have been because I aquired that condition before major stressors happened that would have caused it. While seeing a counselor has helped me cope with the changes in my life, my speech and reading (to a lesser extent, my writing) still need some help to get to where I feel less awkward speaking to people again. So people can suck it up and deal as far as I'm concerned. A lot of these newer, greedy, heartless doctors, if they survive this, I hope they become better doctors and people out of this and learn some humanity. Medicine is to heal not line pockets.
I'm very sorry for your obvious pain and suffering. I've never had that experience. I wish you well.

I'm very sorry for your obvious pain and suffering. I've never had that experience. I wish you well.
Don't be sorry. I just shared that only because I want it to be known that not all doctors (and nurses) are heroes. I am thankful to the good doctors and many nurses out there that care about their jobs- I know they exist. However, I also see this pandemic as a bit of revenge I could never extract myself on crappy doctors (let's say crappy med staff in general). Health industry should never be viewed as just a means to make money and patients should never be viewed as a pharmaceutical opportunity. It's sad it's not the case here.

Latest posts

Back