Poppy seeds in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pug Mom

Reaction score
I want to try adding poppy seeds to some of my soap. I have been asked if I have this my people looking for poppy seed soap. Do you have to do anything to the poppy seeds prior to adding them? Do they make the soap too scratchy?
Thanks!

I never used them in my soap but I am using a soap at the moment that has them (a soap I bought). It looks beautiful but they annoy me. They start out as barely noticeable and the more you use the soap, the scratchier they get until they fall out.

I live in a rural area of TX that happens to have a LARGE percentage of Czech and Bavarian immigrants. The local specialty is a pastry called a 'kolache'. To anyone NOT of Czech descent, it is a fruit filled danish pastry. Tasty, but not earth shattering. (Can you tell I'm not Czech?) :mrgreen:

But they are a big deal around here, and the ones with poppy seed fillings are especially beloved.

Every year in September, we have Kolache Fest -- a two day party of all things Czech and kolache. This includes (not kidding) a Polka Mass in Czech. (Which is actually, really kinda cool. But I'm Irish, so whadda I know?)

We usually rent a booth and sell our honey. Last year, I made a batch of soap, using 'Glazed Doughnut' and 'Mixed Fruit' FOs from Rustic Escentuals, and added about 1 Tbsp. of poppy seeds to a 2 lb. batch. Voila! Kolache soap! I sold out of every last bar. They are mildly exfoliant, and mostly there for the visual/mental aspect of it.

Soap Queen has a tutorial for a lemon poppy seed bar that I want to try, too. Are poppy seeds the next best thing? Nah. But it's kind of a fun touch in the right application.

~HL~

DH's Grandmother was Czech so I had to learn to make kolaches. I like them but do think they are an acquired taste!

I love the looks of poppyseed soap but haven't tried it yet. I also had the question of whole or ground. Same with some cranberry seeds I got as a freebie from some supplier.

I want to try adding poppy seeds to some of my soap. I have been asked if I have this my people looking for poppy seed soap. Do you have to do anything to the poppy seeds prior to adding them? Do they make the soap too scratchy?
Thanks!

Is it the black dots you want in the soap or is it the scrubbiness that you want?

You can add vanilla pod seeds without changing the colour of the soap. It adds little dots to the soap but no scrubbiness.

Thanks!

Whole poppy seeds are rather scratchy in soap, especially as the soap dissolves around them because they stick out. Much too scratchy I would say.

I ground the poppy seeds myself in a coffee grinder. I think mine were finer than the ones EG used, almost like black pepper. I really like how these feel on the skin, not scratchy at all.
I did rinse mine so some of the finest powder washed away, I was worried it might discolor the soap. I blotted most the water off with paper towels but they were still wet when I blended them into my oils.

5dp7cx.jpg

Latest posts

Back