Quantcast

Poppy seeds in soap

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Pug Mom

Reaction score
I want to try adding poppy seeds to some of my soap. I have been asked if I have this my people looking for poppy seed soap. Do you have to do anything to the poppy seeds prior to adding them? Do they make the soap too scratchy?
Thanks!

pinksmartapple

Reaction score
I never used them in my soap but I am using a soap at the moment that has them (a soap I bought). It looks beautiful but they annoy me. They start out as barely noticeable and the more you use the soap, the scratchier they get until they fall out.

The Efficacious Gentleman

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I used ground poppy seeds that are for food use in some of my soaps. I just put it in at around 2-3% of the oil weight. Obsidian also did a soap with it - it makes a beautiful bar with the seeds against a whiter soap.

The Efficacious Gentleman

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
No no, they come ground. They are used for baking over here so they are pretty easy to find. Not so sure about elsewhere in the world though

HoneyLady

Reaction score
Republic of Texas Email: kellyross7867@gmail.com
I live in a rural area of TX that happens to have a LARGE percentage of Czech and Bavarian immigrants. The local specialty is a pastry called a 'kolache'. To anyone NOT of Czech descent, it is a fruit filled danish pastry. Tasty, but not earth shattering. (Can you tell I'm not Czech?) :mrgreen:

But they are a big deal around here, and the ones with poppy seed fillings are especially beloved.

Every year in September, we have Kolache Fest -- a two day party of all things Czech and kolache. This includes (not kidding) a Polka Mass in Czech. (Which is actually, really kinda cool. But I'm Irish, so whadda I know?)

We usually rent a booth and sell our honey. Last year, I made a batch of soap, using 'Glazed Doughnut' and 'Mixed Fruit' FOs from Rustic Escentuals, and added about 1 Tbsp. of poppy seeds to a 2 lb. batch. Voila! Kolache soap! I sold out of every last bar. They are mildly exfoliant, and mostly there for the visual/mental aspect of it.

Soap Queen has a tutorial for a lemon poppy seed bar that I want to try, too. Are poppy seeds the next best thing? Nah. But it's kind of a fun touch in the right application.

~HL~

Deedles

Reaction score
DH's Grandmother was Czech so I had to learn to make kolaches. I like them but do think they are an acquired taste!

I love the looks of poppyseed soap but haven't tried it yet. I also had the question of whole or ground. Same with some cranberry seeds I got as a freebie from some supplier.

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I love Kolaches. Make them for Christmas every year. Love apricot and raspberry. I've not used poppy seeds in soap though.

penelopejane

Reaction score
I want to try adding poppy seeds to some of my soap. I have been asked if I have this my people looking for poppy seed soap. Do you have to do anything to the poppy seeds prior to adding them? Do they make the soap too scratchy?
Thanks!
Is it the black dots you want in the soap or is it the scrubbiness that you want?

You can add vanilla pod seeds without changing the colour of the soap. It adds little dots to the soap but no scrubbiness.

topofmurrayhill

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks!
Whole poppy seeds are rather scratchy in soap, especially as the soap dissolves around them because they stick out. Much too scratchy I would say.

Soapsense

Reaction score
I only put them in a gardeners soap, I too think they are too scratchy

Obsidian

Reaction score
I ground the poppy seeds myself in a coffee grinder. I think mine were finer than the ones EG used, almost like black pepper. I really like how these feel on the skin, not scratchy at all.
I did rinse mine so some of the finest powder washed away, I was worried it might discolor the soap. I blotted most the water off with paper towels but they were still wet when I blended them into my oils.

Latest posts