Poor lady is very ill - her story.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Relle, Nov 22, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Nov 22, 2019 #1

Relle

Relle

Relle

Administrator & Bunny Fanatic Staff Member Admin SPONSOR

I just found out...I am very ill with this horrible syndrome. Pray for me...

A recent study has indicated that yarns give off certain pheromones that hypnotize women and cause them to purchase ungodly amounts of yarn. When stored in large quantities in enclosed spaces, the pheromones in the yarn causes memory loss and induce the gathering syndrome, similar to the one squirrels have before the onset of winter.

Sound tests have also revealed that these yarns emit a very high-pitched sound heard only by a select few, known as stitchers. When played backward, the sounds are heard as chants...'Buy me! Knit/crochet me!' Furthermore, pheromones seem to cause a pathological need to secret the yarn purchases away when one takes them home and blend them into the existing stash. When asked by a significant other if the yarn is new, the reply is, "oh, I've had it for a while!"

In order to overcome the so-called feeding frenzy effect that these yarns cause, one must wear a face mask when entering a storage facility, and use ear plugs to avoid being pulled into their grip. It is also beneficial to enter these storage facilities without the presence of cash or credit cards.
    Sad to say, the addictive qualities of this compulsive behaviour are cumulative, and are ameliorated only by the purchase of more and more and more yarns.

No cure is known at this time.

I think it may be too late

MaryAlice, KDP, Nona'sFarm and 5 others like this.
  2. Nov 22, 2019 #2

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

Yep, that is me. We will not talk about what I bought last week when I promised to start working on the yarn I already have. :eek: Bad bad bad...

3. Nov 22, 2019 #3

Relle

Relle

Relle

Go on, you can tell me, I get it, no scolding from this end I can assure you.

Just saw a post that a lady was reducing her stash from 4000 balls of wool to 2000 :eek::eek::eek:. No, not me, haven't got that many :( - I don't think.

I'll try and take some photos of my crochet efforts this year, no soap, other than a couple for Christmas gifts, mainly crochet for me for a change :).

4. Nov 22, 2019 #4

Relle

Relle

Relle

This is a dangerous sport.:p

[​IMG]

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  5. Nov 22, 2019 #5

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

6. Nov 22, 2019 #6

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

Double Ouch!!

7. Nov 22, 2019 #7

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

Oh no! LOL I use to have a ton of yarn from my crocheting days. I traded that for soapmaking and grandkids.

Mobjack Bay likes this.
  8. Nov 22, 2019 #8

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Supporting Member

9. Nov 22, 2019 #9

lsg

lsg

lsg

Staff Member Admin

Ok, you had me, at first:rolleyes:.

10. Nov 22, 2019 #10

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

Supporting Member

I worked in a yarn shop for almost 2 years; I spent more than I made, even with the employee discount!

11. Nov 22, 2019 #11

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

I think this applies to soap supplies as well. I'm pretty sure NG has some kind of hypno-app working in the background that whispers to me "Just put one more FO in the cart, no one will notice... and now one more...and one more..."

12. Nov 22, 2019 #12

Relle

Relle

Relle

I too, thought it was something else when I first read it.:p

Mobjack Bay likes this.
  13. Nov 22, 2019 #13

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

Ouch :eek:.

I had to start soaping to stop myself from collecting all sorts of silk and wool clothes at thrift stores that I was up-cycling into all kinds of things. I still have bins and bins of items taking up room that I could be using to dry soap :oops:

Nona'sFarm likes this.
  14. Nov 23, 2019 #14

Nona'sFarm

Nona'sFarm

Nona'sFarm

Supporting Member

I've noticed this same phenomena with sewing fabric, too. Luckily when I run out of room, I stop collecting more. Currently have 2 large chests full of fabric and there are underbed containers full of yarn, under every bed. But man, those sales are so hard to resist, but I'm trying to use what I have and stay strong! Maybe we need to start a Yarn-anonymous program to help us stay strong.:p

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Mobjack Bay likes this.
  15. Nov 23, 2019 #15

MaryAlice

MaryAlice

MaryAlice

Supporting Member

Same thing for quilting fabrics. Got no room left...

Mobjack Bay likes this.
  16. Nov 23, 2019 #16

MarnieSoapien

MarnieSoapien

MarnieSoapien

I went to a yarn swap a few months ago. Many people were there with the hopes of leaving with less than they arrived with. Not me! My plan was to swap for things I might actually use. Including the 15ish skeins of bulky yarn I might make into a blanket. Or matching sweaters for the whole family.

Nona'sFarm and Mobjack Bay like this.
  17. Nov 23, 2019 #17

TheGecko

TheGecko

TheGecko

I understand your pain...you have my prayers sister.

Earlier this year before I got into soaping, I decided to do a major organizing and detash. I had yarn stashed everywhere in my house (except the bathroom and kitchen) and was tired of 'losing' yarn all the time. Mind you, my stash is not huge...or rather, I didn't think that I really had that much yarn, but then again, it was all over the place so I didn't know just how much I had until I decided to buy a 5-drawer chest to put in the closet for my yarn. I was RUTHLESS...I filled 3-30 gal and 1-Tall Kitchen bags to be donated to a family that does charity knitting. One 30-gal bag was acrylic or acrylic/wool blend, the other two were mostly wool, about half superwash. The Tall Kitchen was merino, cashmere, silk, etc. I had my husband come in to admire my handy work, showed him the bags of yarn tucked neatly in the drawers with their patterns inside. But then he wanted to know about the yarn still on the bed...and what was in those two boxes next to the dresser.

Last Sunday I went out to the cabinet in the garage to get my very large mixing bowl and I found two small bags of yarn.

When I started soaping this year everything I used fit in a rectangle laundry basket; six months later I have a rolling kitchen island that I used exclusively for making soap and it was great. Two weeks ago, my husband installed a shelf above it to hold my various micas, clays, powders and oxides. Last week he put together a really nice shelving rack in the garage so I have a place for my trays of curing soap instead of the top of the washer and dryer and his work table. Which is great since I have six bottles of Fragrance Oil, 5 lbs of Cocoa Butter and 2 lbs of Beeswax sitting on my desk.

Millie, Misschief, Nona'sFarm and 2 others like this.
  18. Nov 23, 2019 #18

Nona'sFarm

Nona'sFarm

Nona'sFarm

Supporting Member

How lucky you are to have a husband who can make shelves! That's fantastic!:thumbs:

Mobjack Bay likes this.
  19. Nov 23, 2019 #19

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Supporting Member

WOW that's pretty delusional :)

cmzaha, Misschief and Mobjack Bay like this.
  20. Nov 24, 2019 #20

TheGecko

TheGecko

TheGecko

He didn’t make them, he just put them together. But he did make my yarn Swift and he’s going to make me a couple of mold ‘holders’. I have 2-10” Silicone Mold that are starting to bow out in the middle resulting in soap that wider on top than bottom.

But he is very good husband for all his quirks...he supports my yarn habit and my soap making.

Zany_in_CO and Nona'sFarm like this.

Draft saved Draft deleted