pools of oil in cp soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cece_em

Reaction score
I have made a few batches of honey oat milk soap for the past year. My recipe would use at least 10% frozen milk of the total required liquid plus honey diluted in water. Diluted honey is always chilled before pouring it into my soap batter. And by the way, my total liquid is 33% of oils. Example: if i use 1000 grams of oils and butters, my liquid is 330 grams.

I do use a fragrance oil to my recipe. The first batch made my soap overheat so bad, that upon unmolding, the soap was very oily and so brown in color. I always use 3% of oils for the fragrance. The succeeding batches, i didn't experience the pool of oil from my first batch, but the soap always overheats and seizes while in the mixing bowl.

So, my batch last night ended up pretty much the same with my first batch, except that the pool of oil isn't a lot in this batch. Also, the soap is lighter in color. And, my liquid is pure milk. And i tried to combine two kinds of fragrance: one is oil soluble while the other is water soluble. I wanna add that both fragrances make my soap batter trace quickly, and in extreme cases, they make my soap seize in the mixing bowl. My recipe isn't lye heavy also. The recipe called for 140.91 grams lye at 5% superfat, but i only used 140.72 grams lye. I did this just to make sure that my soap won't be lye heavy, and i am thinking this is extra superfat. Is my reasoning correct on this one?

I am posting this to share my experience in making honey oat milk soap. I am very tempted to use powdered milk the next time around just to see if i will encounter the same issues.

I have tried unscented honey oat milk soap with partial milk content for the liquid part, and my soap turned out fine. So, it must be the fragrance.

Attached are photos of my latest batch. The one in the gel phase was taken 3 hours after molding. The other photo was taken more than 12 hours from molding

IMG_20150512_013053.jpg

IMG_20150512_154903.jpg

Is there any chance it could be overheating in the mould? I have had cavernous oil filled holes in honey soap before and it was remedied by not insulating it or putting it in the fridge depending on time of year.

I make and oatmeal, milk (GM or Buttermilk) and honey soap and generally just lightly insulate and watch it closely. I use OMH FO with it and have no problems with seizing.

Have you tried a different fragrance oil with that recipe? Maybe a different manufacturer?

Yes i did. The two fragrance i used are from different suppliers. And in the Philippines, we don't have a lot of suppliers. Also, i cannot import from popular shops from the USA, because shipping is too expensive and i have to pay a lot of taxes for the importation.

Is there any chance it could be overheating in the mould? I have had cavernous oil filled holes in honey soap before and it was remedied by not insulating it or putting it in the fridge depending on time of year.

Yes it could also be the mold, but i had used my wooden soap molds before with the same batch, minus fragrance and no incidents happened. It probably is the fragrance

I make and oatmeal, milk (GM or Buttermilk) and honey soap and generally just lightly insulate and watch it closely. I use OMH FO with it and have no problems with seizing.

Actually i do not insulate my milk soap with honey. You are lucky to have coooerative f.o :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back