Pool of liquid in soap mold, Overheating

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calamityhannah

Reaction score
I recently made a batch of coconut, olive oil, and aloe vera soap. I used two different types of coconut oil, one was virgin, unrefined and the other was expeller pressed; which together made up 60% of my oil in the batch (and I used an 8% superfat). I decreased the amount of liquid I mixed with the lye in order to add the aloe vera at trace. Once I added the aloe vera at light trace the batch seized and I had to pour it quickly into the molds. It definitely overheated and went through a partial gel phase. Later in the day there were pools of liquid at the top and presumably at the bottom, since it was seeping out the sides as well. The oil never reabsorbed as most people suggest it should and the soap is still very malleable (2 days later). Should I rebatch it? Should it try to force it through a full gel phase even though it has been 2 days since completion of the batch?

I can understand the overheating, high percentages of coconut do tend to overheat. I also can understand why it seized, with the oils being so hot and heating ( since mixed with the lye) and then adding more liquid that I presume was at a lower temp. (Once batter is beginning to saponify ie. Trace, adding liquid can thicken not thin the mixure). What has me stumped is the pools of liquid. My best guess is that the aloe added could not mix or fully incorporate into the batter before it seized.

If it were me I would rebatch, but not the normal way. I would try heating the mixture in a pan and taking a hand mixer to it to see if I could force it into an emulation. With it only being a few days old I would try without adding additional water. Only if it were not possible would I add water, and then 1 oz at a time until it would smooth out enough to mold. This is if I were sure my lye and water amount were correct and no mistakes were made in measuring.

My thought is that when it overheated, it separated and the"oil" that you see is actually glycerin/water/lye. Zap test it. If the seepage zaps, but the soap itself (rinse a piece off then touch it to your tounge) doesn't, rebatch it using as much of the seeped out stuff as you can. It may be soft because it has a very high super fat due to separation of some of the lye water during overheating. If its only a little bit it will reabsorb but if it is a lot, it won't.

Sounds like something I have just had happen to me for the first time. I rebatched in HP. Soap came out fine minus some of the scent. I am sure you have run your batch originally through a soap calc?

Latest posts

Back