Pool of liquid and yellow liquid on soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autumnlove

Reaction score
Hello all,
When I was ready to unmould the batch of soap I made last night, I found a tiny pool of liquid at a corner of the soap. Just that one pool of the entire block. As I unmould it I found yellow liquid at the bottom of the block.

What I did wrong was I forgot to put in my yogurt during the making. I used 70% of the total liquid to dilute the lye and 30% substituted with yogurt which I forgot to add in. How silly!

Is the soap still safe? I tested the yellow liquid and pool of liquid and it was definately ph14 or more. Other than that it cuts nicely and doesn't look like something when wrong... Other than the one tiny pool of liquid on top and yellow liquid at the bottom.

Would like to hear what you guys think...

Thank you!

I haven't try zap test before... Too afraid to get zapped! Lol. Maybe I should give it a try...

You are really going to have to zap test the soap to know if it is safe. Wait 72 hrs before zap test, since soap can easily stay zappy for 72 hrs. If if is still zappy after that time you can always let it cure a couple of months and test again. If using what is considered full water, 38% water as % of oil, many times a soap will correct itself even if it is lye heavy with a long cure.

Well, wait a few days, see if the liquid reabsorbs (if it's still there, that is) and THEN zap test. You don't have to rush into it, and a zappy soap often mellows out after a few days.

To avoid major issues, especially when a batch has a touch of trouble about it, I would do the 3 fold test -

Wet your finger and rub it on the soap. Wait for tingle. No tingle, touch the wet finger to your tongue. No tingle, touch your tongue to the soap.

Back