Poodle Soap Bar - Does this sound OK?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissPpoodle

Reaction score
Hi, Have read quite a lot of threads here about dog soap, and I know not to ask for anyone's proven formula. I have been using a fragrance free store bought one that is OK, and have tried my own soap on the dogs too, not too bad, but I want to make a soap that won't strip too much oils, and leave them soft and a bit moisturized. They only get washed once a month. I have pretty much stuck to safe things so far, so only limited knowledge of all the oils and their properties.

After reading the other threads, this is what I was thinking of trying, and wanted input before I go out an buy the ingredients in case I am making a big error. Thanks in advance. (NOTE: the lard/tallow is actually going to be Supafry which is 'mixed animal fats', so I put half/half lard/tallow in recipe). Oh, and I thought 5% superfat.

1679801451332.png

Sorry, apparently we all missed your post - or at least, I did. :)

I don't own a doggie, but I can say that the recipe you created should be quite mild, especially if you leave it unscented. I would make a small batch and see how it goes.

Sorry, apparently we all missed your post - or at least, I did. :)

I don't own a doggie, but I can say that the recipe you created should be quite mild, especially if you leave it unscented. I would make a small batch and see how it goes.
Thank you AliOop. Definitely leaving unscented (I don't tolerate fragrance either). Will give it a whirl.

Hi MissPoodle. For my doggie soap I pretty much just use my regular (human soap) recipe, but I have increased the CO to 23% from 20% for more lather. I also use 5% neem oil ( which stinks to high heaven, lol). Your recipe sounds fine - try it and see what you think.

This forum/thread (Recipe Feedback) doesn't get much action. People tend to browse more through the Beginners forum and the lye-based soap forum. Shame really - I like this one.

Thanks KiwiMoose Am going to shop today to get what I have run out of and will give it a go.

I thought the sections in the forum where just to keep articles in relevant places for the topic so people could look information up easily, that this was just one forum with sub headings. I am in a caravan forum, and that is how that one works - they even move threads if you put it in the wrong section! I usually just look at new thread list and see if anything interesting, as this seems to include all sections. But I did notice my daily email of new comments did not include mine??

I used to have two minipoo's that were shown, let me go look at the shampoo I used on them and their conditioner (Isle of Dog) and I now use on my CC'ed. Your's looks great for conditioning but you also need to remember their coats collect a lot of dust and debris in that month in-between washing so their skin needs to get nice and clean as well as their coats plus a very good conditioner.

A lot of people will warn against using lye soap on dogs but I've found it to be superior to commercial shampoo.
It really removes doggy odors, no more wet dog smell after bathing and soap rinses so much easier.
I make mine with 10% neem, not sure it does anything but I'm not going to use the stinky stuff lol.

Soap, no matter the recipe isn't going to moisturizer the hair or skin. If your poodle has long hair, you'll still need to use a conditioner.
If you find the hair starting to look damaged or dry, stop using soap and go back to shampoo.
My dogs have short hair, not sure how long term soap use will affect long hair.

Absolutely do not wash the face with soap, I keep a small bottle of tear free shampoo for face washing.

Thanks, Obsidian, I have been using a commercial bar soap for some time now, no issues, and they get clipped short every 8 weeks. Have owned poodles for over 20 years, they are THE best dogs! :) They never smell (except when they roll in something they shouldn't).

And thanks, Michelle0803, The Nerdy Farmwife's recipe isn't too far removed from mine, so I have fingers crossed. I won't use EO or Neem, as I don't tolerate fragrance myself, so hopefully my bars will be OK.

I have just made a 6 bar batch. Made a couple of little changes in quantities and soapcal says bubbles will be more now. Will unmould tomorrow. Then wait for next bath date to test. Will let you know how it goes.

Back