pomace what?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evergreen

Reaction score
Last week I bought a bottle of what I thought was pomace olive oil and planned to make a nice 100% castile beeswax soap. All my olive oil soaps have been bastile and this would have been the first all olive oil. So...the pomace I found is the ONLY one I've ever seen in my area. (I haven't ordered any pomace online yet and I thought this would be the best way to start before committing to a larger purchase.)

So...I had all my calcs ready and my oil weighed. I glanced at the bottle of Olio Villa Pomace (with a picture of OLIVES on the label) and noticed that it was it was a compound oil. I looked closer and it said it was a blend of 95% vegetable oils with 5% extra virgin olive oil...I ran to the computer and found a website selling it as 95% soybean oil and 5% extra virgin olive oil.

ARRRRRRGGGHHHHHHH!

Frustration aside, it's my fault since I didn't read the label well enough in a dimly lighted store aisle and let the price and the word POMACE be my guide.

I decided to trudge ahead and went back to SoapCalc to redesign my recipe and add several other oils. It's now cooking in the crock pot.

I am a bit bummed that my planned soap is not what I'm making; but I'm sure the soap will turn out okay--it's just not the "special" one I had in mind. I thought I would post this as a caveat to anyone else who buys that brand as OO Pomace. I think it's deceptive marketing since pomace is supposed to be a lower grade of pure olive oil not soybean with EVOO added.

Thanks for sharing !!! We should all use your advice and CHECK those labels ... I would have done the same thing !!!

I was at a restaurant and they had a grocery attached and had oo for 13 a gal, I thought wow!, then I read label, it was mixed also, I didnt buy it.

Latest posts

Back