polysorbate for emulsifyer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buttercupsoaps

Reaction score
I've been on a search for cream/lotion recipe like alot of you that contains all natural-mostly natural ingred. One of the things I advertise is no preservatives. So Im on a quest to make a lotion with no chemical preservative. I've tried one method using polysorbate as an emuls. but when I read up on it I'm confused........is it chemicals? natural or what?
It emul. my water & oils/butters fine.

Good luck. :wink: My advice is to have it professionally tested if you intend on selling it to anyone if you do not use a recognized preservative.
This topic has been discussed at length here, and I would love to do the same, but everything I read makes me sceptical about the new "natural preservatives." One really smells bad when enough is used to give any protection and it may not work either.

I'm afraid for now, it is an endless quest........

I'm with Paul,

It makes me squirm when I see products that are announced that they are made without preservatives because of the safety issues involved. Many times mold and bacteria can't be seen with the naked eye. So you may wish to take that into consideration along with the safety of your customers. If you continue to sell this product I would highly recommend making sure you have business insurance to cover your butt if your sued by someone. Plus as Paul suggested having it profesionally tested which is costly but that way you will know for sure if it's safe or not.

I also believe that if there was a natural way to preserve handmade products like lotions and scrubs the word would go around like wildfire and no one would continue to use a chemical preservative.

Personally the benefits outweigh the risks so I'm all for safety.

well.............sorry :oops: I gave the wrong impression here.
I get the feeling Im stepping in the wrong place. So far the products Im making DONT REQUIRE preservatives....soaps, body butter, body oil, lip balms, bath salts....I was curious about making lotion for myself/family in testing. Not selling this item yet.

lol Well now that's a horse of a different color.

However you may wish to use a preservative in your body butter even though it's not required.

What happens if your client wants to thin it down and adds a bit of water. Or as another member here once suggest what if the lid is dropped on the floor by accient and there is a little urine on the floor and the lid touches that. (little boys are famous for that) Or what if a daugher tries it out without permission and picks her nose prior to using it. All leads to bacteria entering the product. You need to be prepared for anything your customer may do with it once it leaves your hands. For their own safety.

Even if your going to make lotion for your own use I highly suggest using a preservative unless your going to make a fresh batch daily and tossing out any unused portion each night. You don't want to spread any growing nasties around.

thanks for the heads up on it. I still don't know 'bout the polysorbate. is it chemical or ? :? I know if too much is used it makes things feel sticky like.

as to the question is it a chemical or not.... my gut instinct says yes, but this is what wkipedia says

Polysorbate is an oily liquid. It is a class of emulsifiers used in some pharmaceuticals and food preparation. It is often used in cosmetics to solubilise essential oils into water based products. Polysorbates are derived from PEG-ylated sorbitan (a derivative of sorbitol) esterified with fatty acids. Surfactants that are esters of plain (non-PEG-ylated) sorbitan with fatty acids are usually referred to by the name Span.

have you tried to google this to find your answer?

I personally use emulsifying wax and stearic acid in my lotions and creams.

but it will do nothing as a preservative.

but then trying to create a recipe that has " no chemical preservative" goes back to the safety issues. You need to have that chemical preservative to keep them safe. Especially if they are being sold.

You are required by law to comply with the rules the FDA has set forth for cosmetics/drugs being made and sold. If you haven't read up on this I suggest you do so.

PS if you sell lip balm and state it's for dry chapped lips your selling a drug and not a cosmetic. So learn the differences. And yes items sold on line can be reported to the FDA so it's important to comply. And yes they can step in if they are not being followed.

Ok faithy, I've aparently struck a raw spot with you......IM VERY SORRY IF IVE SAID SOMETHING TO OFFEND. :oops: :shock: I SERIOUSLY DID NOT MEAN TO!! I STUPIDLY THOUGHT FROM WHAT I HAVE READ. that I did not need preservatives in things that don't have water- as in soaps, body oils, lip balms sea salts & body butters w/o water in them. I am real careful not to mention anything relating to healing or curing anything. I dont even advertise, yet. I've just been getting started a year now.
I get on here to get feed back & ideas like everyone else, I assume.
AGAIN..........SORRY. I didn't realize that preservatives were required for ALL products.
Lisa :cry: :oops:

Back