Polymer clay question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapAddict415

Reaction score
For those of you who work with polymer clay regularly, what's the best brand & type for a beginner? I was looking online and I noticed that in addition to the different brands, they are different types. Fimo for example has a classic clay, an effects clay, etc. I just want to make a bowl for a wedding gift.

I'v used most of the brands at one time or another. The best one depends on what you want to use it for. I usually use Premo by Sculpey, it's softer and easier to condition and comes in beautiful colors. Their translucent is nice too. If you're caning Premo will work but a firmer clay might be preferable, Fimo or Kato clay (hold detail really well but I found them harder to condition). Sculpey III is very soft and can be sticky but fun to play with and comes in nice bright colors. I hope that helps!:)

For a bowl a firmer clay would be preferable. You could use any of name brands for your bowl project. I had to look up effects (it's been a while) and saw that there's a glow in the dark clay! (Oh ... sorry ... any of the name brands, "effects" included - whichever ones you like the look of).

Beware of old stock going cheap - it can be almost impossible to condition.

Polymer clays are not usually food grade, so you might need to coat it if it's intended for use with food.

Thank you scard & Saltedfig! I plan to fill the bowl with my soaps. Then when the soaps are all gone, they still have the bowl I made.
A glow in the dark clay would be awesome! My son loves Batman so maybe I could sneak a glow in the dark Batman logo into the design.

The only caution I would give is for price. Depending on the size of the bowl and the number of attempts it takes to get it right, this could get a little pricey. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just recommending that you compare the total price of the clay against other options.

I was thinking of making a bowl about this size, maybe a little wider. I'm at work, that's a stack of 7" diameter rod wipers. My favorite salad/pasta bowl is about that size, maybe a little wider. I think that's a good size for holding keys & other knickknacks.
I forgot the pic. I'll have to add it later.

Last edited:
IMG_20180219_112701_1.jpg
this is the pic I meant to attach.

Back