Poly 80 or SLSA Choice?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

dblbubble

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm a new member, but a long time stalker. I finally jumped into the deep end of bath bomb making 2 months ago and have been making sample bath bombs almost every day to see what works and what doesn't. I've been tweaking as I go along in order to find my "ideal" recipe.

As part of this, I have made bath truffles from Soapqueen's recipe. Love the concept, but they definitely need an emulsifier/surfactant. I've tried Poly 80, which has worked and gives some foam in the water. If I use SLSA, I of course have more suds. Both disperse the oils pretty well.

My question is, what is the difference in choice in deciding on what emulsifier to use? Is there a reason to choose Poly 80 over SLSA other than one giving more suds than the other? They both seem to do the same job, but I know Poly 80 is better at breaking down the oils.

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I use both SLSA and Poly 80 in bath bombs, scoops and bubble bars. However, I don't use a lot of the PS 80. Even a little helps with the oil slick that can be left in the tub. However, I don't use SLSA in my bath melts.

dblbubble

Reaction score
Dahlia, thank you! I had the same effect and thought the stickiness was a result of using a hard butter like coco butter. I thought the coco butter contributed to a waxy feel on my skin, as it hardens at room temp.

I do like what it does, but have definitely found the % amounts recommended in some recipes are WAY too much for my preferences and I know that Poly 80 and SLSA don't play well together in large amounts.

I'll experiment with just a pinch of Poly 80 and include SLSA, and the truffles made with SLSA only and see what happens!

Thanks!

TBandCW

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm a new member, but a long time stalker. I finally jumped into the deep end of bath bomb making 2 months ago and have been making sample bath bombs almost every day to see what works and what doesn't. I've been tweaking as I go along in order to find my "ideal" recipe.

As part of this, I have made bath truffles from Soapqueen's recipe. Love the concept, but they definitely need an emulsifier/surfactant. I've tried Poly 80, which has worked and gives some foam in the water. If I use SLSA, I of course have more suds. Both disperse the oils pretty well.

My question is, what is the difference in choice in deciding on what emulsifier to use? Is there a reason to choose Poly 80 over SLSA other than one giving more suds than the other? They both seem to do the same job, but I know Poly 80 is better at breaking down the oils.
I don't use either in my bath bombs so I can't help you there. When I first started making bath bombs I also experimented a lot with different ingredients, so good for you! (of course the most expensive oil was the winner:???:) You will find your perfect recipe!

dblbubble

Reaction score
Thanks Kathy. You know the old saying, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over-and-over and expecting a different result"? Well, that seems to be the case, but I'm enjoying the process.

I keep a notebook and take notes on what works, what doesn't, the results, suggestions for something better, as well as understanding what the ingredients are and what they do/how they react together, and what I want the "experience" to be for a user.

I've been down the rabbit hole on Susan Barclay-Nichols' website and love it!

NOLAGal

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I've only been experimenting for a couple weeks making bath bombs and still looking for that elusive magically formula. From the research I've done SLS or SLSA , if you google them, have been reported as being a skin irritant for some people. There are also claims of it causing cancer that I have found, but nothing credible from what I've seen. SLS is in a lot of everyday products, just looking at my own shampoo and toothpaste I can find it. Poly 80 on the other hand is not regarded as a skin irritant and doesn't have any controversy. There is a decent amount of people who avoid any products with SLS / SLSA in it.

There is also a big difference in cost, it appears that Poly 80 is about 10x more expensive than SLS / SLSA.

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
SLSA is milder than SLS. I won't use SLS in my products at all. Check out Swiftcraftymonkey.com Susan has so much valuable information on surfecants and emulsifiers.