Poly 80 and liquid dish soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure that it would help too much - you're basically making the water in to a thin lotion which would also coat the dishes (but might be easy enough to rinse off)

Even then, I honestly don't know who it would cope with soapy water instead of plain. Maybe try adding some poly 80 in to your sink one time, at the ratio you have in mind, to see what impact it has

According to others (I haven't tried it), polysorbate 80 works well to pre-treat greasy spots on fabric and also works for cleaning hair, so yes it can cut grease. I think people are using PS80 undiluted for these purposes.

I'm sure PS80 would blend with a diluted liquid soap, so that's a feasible thing too.

But, like the others, I'm not sure how much grease cutting power it would add if mixed into a dishwashing soap. I think I'd use a more powerful syndet instead. There's a thread here on making solid dishwashing soap that's syndet based -- might be worth a look to see what detergents this type of product uses.

I also doubt PS80 will improve the lather of a liquid soap, if abundant suds is important to you.

Really the only way to know for sure is to make up a sample and compare the base soap with the mixture of soap and PS80.

I'm going to have to try this. Thanks.
FUN WITH POLYSORBATE 80

Is it possible to add poly 80 to liquid dish soap to help cut the grease?
It certainly is possible but PS80 isn't the grease fighter that Dawn is.

I use a Foamer and a sponge for dishes. The Foamer contains whatever LS I have on hand -- usually 100% Coconut or Dr. Bronner's (Type) dupe. The ratio is 2 Tablespoons of PS80 to 2 teaspoons of fragrance in an 8 oz foamer that is 2 oz. LS to 6 oz. water.

I keep another Foamer of Dawn at the sink for greasy stuff. 1 oz. Dawn to 7 oz. water. :thumbs:

That being said, I'm currently test-driving an LS made with tallow & rosin. Amazing lather and the rosin is a grease fighter. Much like a detergent, rosin cuts greasy pans so they rinse squeaky clean with minimal effort.

If interested, you can read about using rosin in this thread.

HTH :computerbath:

Latest posts

Back