Poinsettia Ebru Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KristaY

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was making soap yesterday, my batter was taking forever to come to a medium trace. I had plenty of time for a faux funnel pour and was waiting for the last bit of the batter to thicken so I could do a swirled top when it hit me - try an ebru technique! So I did very small circles of the 3 colors in random areas on top, then used my skewer to make them into poinsettias. I'm mostly happy with it but learned a few lessons along the way.

First, don't bang the mold on the counter after pouring the circles. You can see some mottling of the colors along the left side because the batter was still very thin so came up the side and over the top a bit.

Remember that the tiny circles you envisioned will get much larger with each pour, lol. I was going for circles of color about 1/2" diameter. That didn't work out too well and they ended up being about 1".

Start the circles much farther apart than you want, knowing they'll close the gap as they grow.

Lastly, if you want a REALLY slow moving FO, try Christmas Wreath or Mistletoe from WSP. I actually had to wait on them before I could finish the tops.

Poinsettia Ebru 01.jpg

Poinsettia Ebru 03.jpg

They turned out wonderful!!
I've learned the bang thing one too many times. Now I bang out air bubbles after my first pours and never after I do anything to the tops. I've ruined so many tops doing that, I think I finally learned my lesson ;)

Thanks everyone for the kind words. :D I have the itch to give it another go so will do that shortly. Hopefully I'll remember my own words of wisdom when I do, lol! :crazy:

Back