Pockets of honey and lye...ugh

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperPhat

Reaction score
I made a beautiful batch of Goats milk, oatmeal and honey Tuesday. I cut it last night and found dark little spots that were a bit runny. When I did the zap test they were caustic. :cry:

I was thinking about rebatching this and adding extra oils so the leftover lye can saponify. Will this work? I used some expensive oils for this batch and don't want to lose it. Its also on of the most beautiful batches I've ever made...

WAH :cry:

Hang on to it.......some of the experienced rebatchers will be along soon. At least you have a "sweet lye" if you are in need of one. :lol: :lol:

Digit

:lol:

I figured out that it isn't honey. I also added a Tbsp of course sugar. I thought I added it early enough that it should have melted, but aparently I didn't. :oops:

Definately rebatch it. Grate it up and put the whole lot into a crock pot on low. Add a little bit of the oils you want and stir it every once in a while until its clear and has a vaseline look. Then add any scent or color and 'pour' it into your mold. 'Pour' is usually a 'glop' as the mix isn't very runny at all.

Here is a link to a page on rebatching that I made:

http://www.soap-making-essentials.com/rebatching-soap.html

Good luck!

I like your rebatching page! I tried handmilling so many times with horrible results until I did the oven method. Now I handmill all the time. I'm going to make a milling video for my blog in the next few weeks...This is the first time I've actually HAD to rebatch :lol:

I love your blog by the way...didn't realize that was you. :oops:

Can't wait to see the soap rebatched. You will be posting pic's, right?

Of course I'll post pics :D (Probably on the blog though...I know how to do those pics a lot faster, hehe)

I joined this forum before I started my blog or else I would have used the other name lol.

Oh, and I'm glad you like the blog :p I'll be checking yours out again tonight while I'm nursing and trying to stay awake!

LOL!! Good luck with that! I never could stay awake while nursing. Instant yawn mode. A little bliss mixed in with pure exhaustion. :D

Back