Please why is it these aren't in soap cal.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReddWing

Reaction score
Why are mineral and baby oils NOT found in the calculators ? I think theres 1 other very common oil one would think would be listed and isn't....but I'm getting old can only remember two today...

So why arent they listed ? Do they make bad soap ? Or ? What's the deal ?

And I really did look for an answer before asking please forgive that I couldn't find it if it is here already.....

I think its a very good question myself....:think:
Thank you

PS my "ratnip" soap...bubbly ,creamy, thick ,easy rinsing, conditioning , feels good lather, kept smell very well, but my blue, green, purple and red ALL turned a horrible UGLY nasty black-gray pukey color :silent:
Pink and yellow stayed fine and orange faded almost to white
I'll try to get a pix of soap and lather up ....but all forum's like to show me how dumb I can be w/uploads and such...lol so well see

The people that have tried it have forgotten all about the rats and want a bar after washing hands with it....is it safe after the rats ran over it and had their mouths on it eating ? I've worked sterile areas and worry about germs and diseases ect but if its OK and they have forgotten I don't want to remind them-

Last edited:
Mineral oil does not saponify. You can use it as a release agent for molds for that very reason.

On the ingredient list of a bottle of baby oil, mineral oil is usually one of two ingredients, the other being fragrance.

I can't say with any scientific certainly that the ratnip soaps are or aren't safe. However if they were mine, I'd pitch them due to the range of diseases those rodents can carry - and the longevity of some of them. Curing for several weeks doesn't necessarily mean all the germs have died.

Back