Please - tell me why - I'm so grossed out !

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the best stuff I have found in years:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005BUZL2Q/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I would strongly suggest, however, that you try traps of one sort or another before resorting to poison. If you poison them, they can die in inaccessible places, and you get to live with the stink for weeks on end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously??? Warfarin, as in Coumadin, the blood thinner? Do they die of internal bleeding so now we have bloody mice and rats running around the house then dropping dead? What a visual......

OMG. I just read this about brodifacoum "This rodenticide is effective against warfarin resistant rats". Great. So they become resistant to it. Who knew they tested anticoagulants as rodent control. PerthMobility, that's who!

Forty five years ago this June, I competed in a "Tug-O-War" and got a hiatus hernia which in turn led to atrial fibrillation (AF) and I have still got it.

So do I know a bit about anti-coagulants, just a bit, just a bit. So I can say this that I have seen a lot of vermin end their days after overdosing on a Vitamin K antagonist BUT I have never seen one obviously in distress as a result.

About seven years ago I, completely accidentally, overdosed on warfrin and finished up in a hospital ICU (intensive care unit). Turned out an internal bleed had put me close to death but the incident was completely PAINLESS and apparently would have remained that way until I fell of the twig.

:) I admit that sometimes I think I have lived a long life but that I have run all the way ... then I remember that I would never have seen all I have seen if I hadn't run.

There are a couple of life changes I would like to make but it isn't going to happen so "why worry, be happy".

Omg Perthmobility :(
That must've been scary!
As a student nurse I've seen patient overdosed on Warfarin at ED at let me tell you, it's one if those things you see that stay with you for life.

As TeresaT and Susie said, don't poison them. They tend to hide in nooks after poisoning to die. I found one in my daughter's toy box. Few died under the stove. Others in the hole under roof. Living room was smelling funky for DAYS!

:) I admit that sometimes I think I have lived a long life but that I have run all the way ... then I remember that I would never have seen all I have seen if I hadn't run.

There are a couple of life changes I would like to make but it isn't going to happen so "why worry, be happy".

My BIL had 2 ops for atrial fib which he's had for 20 years but it's getting worse.
Just before a big op for it (don't ask me what) the doctor suggested he give up alcohol for 6 months. He was only having a couple of glasses a week anyway so tried it. On the 7th month his atrial fibrillation stopped and it's been normal ever since. Weird but true. Dr says it works for some.

Glad to hear you survived the ED!!!

This is the best stuff I have found in years:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005BUZL2Q/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I would strongly suggest, however, that you try traps of one sort or another before resorting to poison. If you poison them, they can die in inaccessible places, and you get to live with the stink for weeks on end.

Omg Perthmobility :(
That must've been scary!
As a student nurse I've seen patient overdosed on Warfarin at ED at let me tell you, it's one if those things you see that stay with you for life.

As TeresaT and Susie said, don't poison them. They tend to hide in nooks after poisoning to die. I found one in my daughter's toy box. Few died under the stove. Others in the hole under roof. Living room was smelling funky for DAYS!

True, true, true. Scouting out that funky smell is the WORST, especially during the warmer months, when it's hot inside and you still can't find that funky smell...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but if they are too smart for the traps, sometimes you just have to poison. They will eat your wiring (they LOVE electrical wires and cords, don't ask me why). Which will lead to expensive electrician's bills and the potential for house fires.

This thread is awesome, I'd like to re-title it, Game of Mice, who will sit on the soap throne.

My grandmother used to say if we said bad things she'd wash our mouths out with soap, then we'd have beautiful speech just like the mice.

Now I wonder if that was reference to mice eating soap?

We had a mice plaque some time after last big drought, circa 2007-2008.
I've never seen them before in my house or after that. They were everywhere.
We would sit in the living room watching TV for example and they would run around like there's no human in the house. Funny thing was, is that we had a cat but he was useless when it comes to mice haha.
I've killed heaps with traps. They looove nutella and peanut butter. Cheese or meat they can steal sometimes but if you smear something sweet on the trap they can't resist. They get busy licking and bam.

Been in work camps that were infested. Several of the guys travelled with their dogs so poison was out of the question. We played a trapping game. two small flat sticks( lathe) and a five gallon bucket. Run a heavy wire from one side to the other and attach a stick with the stick balanced in the bucket. Use peanut butter to help balance it. Put the other stick at an angle to the ground so it reaches the top of the bucket. Fill bucket 1/3 of the way with water. DO NOT leave one of these set up over the weekend. THAT will gross you out!

The one that drowns the most mice wins.

Well let's get something straight- I was the one wearing the dress, not a rat.
I've not smelt any dead things yet or seen any.
We knew we had critters in the shed/work room/garage/out building.
But I didn't know we had mice in the house- never a single dropping Ect, until the next morning-mouse tracks and teeth marks all over the only 3 the rats didn't touch.
This past Christmas I made chocolate in molds - I dried them in the shed and the house and there were no tracks or teeth marks. But I may have to stop trying soap. I despite rodents, they bother me on so many levels.
I'm going to go have a long cleansing cry now. Thanks for telling me all about rodents and lye.

Once a rodent colony reaches a certain number (3000ish for rats) cats and other predators will not attack any of them. Same for mice-i don't know the # for them though. The sites and books I read didn't give a reason why but all did state this. Now I'm curious about why. Maybe if attacked and "scream" others come and attack the predator ?

RW,
If your DH is not too grossed out have him try the bucket trick. the mice will run up the stick and out to the peanut butter and ... slash!
In the morning you simply empty the bucket into the compost and set it back up after work. A simple way of greatly reducing the rodent population without using rat-nip.

We also used cement mixed with cornmeal on the farm. They eat the cornmeal and it dries them out in just a few hours. Mouse mummies.

I'm glad I'm not the only one this has happened to. Fiance and I have been freaking right the hell out over some mouse droppings that we have seen lately, and sure enough, the biggest concentration is by the soap racks. Now I just moved the racks to stand against the wall, just about a month ago. I haven't had any issues with mice until then. We do have 4 cats but we keep the soaping room shut off from them. Not anymore. Guess I will move the racks back to in the middle of the room and raise the soaps off the bottom racks, and HOPE the little squirks don't knock my shelves over in there.

Once a rodent colony reaches a certain number (3000ish for rats) cats and other predators will not attack any of them. Same for mice-i don't know the # for them though. The sites and books I read didn't give a reason why but all did state this. Now I'm curious about why. Maybe if attacked and "scream" others come and attack the predator ?

I wonder if it's the "strength in numbers" thing. We have a big problem with coyotes in our area. When there's one or two, they keep their distance from homes, pets, etc. When they run in a pack, they suddenly grow huge cajones and we start missing outdoor cats.

Latest posts

Back