Please tell me, kelp smell goes away?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyHomeSoapCo

Reaction score
I've read several times that the fishy/seaweed smell goes away once cured but I still smell it. I used 2 tbsp kelp powder + 1 tsp spirulina powder mixed with 3oz olive oil, to which I added about 24oz soap batter, to create a nice green color to swirl with. My soap is scented with cedarwood. It is a salt bar and is only about one day old but I can still smell the kelp. Will it continue to fade out?

Also, side note... I just downloaded the SMF app, and for some reason I cant comment. Is there certain rules to follow in order to comment or post on the app or am I just not seeing it?

That's a lot of kelp for such a small batch, especially with the spirulina in there as well. The most kelp I've used in my own soap was 1/4 tsp. ppo, and although it smell like low-tide at first, it went away by the time my soap was cured. Hopefully those who have used more than me will chime in soon.

IrishLass :)

ok, thank you for the confirmation. My total batch was a little over 7lbs, it was 125 oz. This was my first Sea Salt Bar, which I used 60% coconut oil and only 25% salt. The kelp & spirulina were just mixed in 24oz of batter for a green color to swirl into the main batch of plain white and another 24oz mixed with activated charcoal. So glad to know that it wont be a big batch of stinky!! Now if only I had a better cedarwood eo. I used Chinese Cedarwood and its very woodsy. My hubby said the soap smells like rubber, lol. Hopefully it will all mellow out after a full cure. Next time I will be using Virginian or Texas cedarwood!

Now, does anyone know why I cannot comment or post from my cell phone? I'd love to share pics with everyone and be able to reply to threads from my phone but i'm not seeing the option in the SMF app.

Last edited:
ok, thank you for the confirmation. My total batch was a little over 7lbs, it was 125 oz. This was my first Sea Salt Bar, which I used 60% coconut oil and only 25% salt. The kelp & spirulina were just mixed in 24oz of batter for a green color to swirl into the main batch of plain white and another 24oz mixed with activated charcoal. So glad to know that it wont be a big batch of stinky!! Now if only I had a better cedarwood eo. I used Chinese Cedarwood and its very woodsy. My hubby said the soap smells like rubber, lol. Hopefully it will all mellow out after a full cure. Next time I will be using Virginian or Texas cedarwood!

Now, does anyone know why I cannot comment or post from my cell phone? I'd love to share pics with everyone and be able to reply to threads from my phone but i'm not seeing the option in the SMF app.[/QUOTE
New Directions Aromatics carries a lovely Cedarwood, Virginia and also a nice Cedarwood, Himalayan. I do not like the Himalayan out of the bottle but blended with citrus it is one of my favorites

Here it is! I'm really happy with my design! I just hope someone will like the scent!

1425315412419.jpg

Very pretty soap - I'm envious of your swirl with salt soap. I'm lucky to get two colors in the molds before I can't work with it anymore. Also, unless you have a rule about only using essential oils, there are quite a few fragrance oils out there with sandalwood. Remember most FO's contain quite a bit of essential oils.

Very pretty soap - I'm envious of your swirl with salt soap. I'm lucky to get two colors in the molds before I can't work with it anymore. Also, unless you have a rule about only using essential oils, there are quite a few fragrance oils out there with sandalwood. Remember most FO's contain quite a bit of essential oils.

Thank you, I am surprised the swirls came out as good as they did! Before these salt bars I haven't had much luck with swirls. This time I made sure to only stick blend until the batter was completely mixed. Still very thin. Then I added essential oils and hand mixed then added salt and hand mixed.

From now on, I will only be using the stick blender very minimally. My prior understanding of "thin trace" used to be the very beginning stage of trace where you can see drag lines. I would always get to this point with the stick blender, then add eo's then split for colors. By this time I had very thick pudding and globbed it into the mold. I couldn't figure out at what point I was messing it up. And I thought getting to a visible thin trace, was a must.

Well I went back to you tube to watch technique videos. I noticed every soap maker was only mixing the soap and lye, but not going all the way to thin trace.

So that's what I did differently this time! And from here on out, I will use the stick blender very sparingly.

Back