Please...tell me it will morph!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navigator9

Reaction score
This is my first time using Nurture Soap's Wisteria Purple mica. I was going for a light purple for my lavender soap, so I went with 2 1/2 teaspoons for a 13lb. batch of soap, and this is the color I got. Yikes! It's the color of hot chocolate. Any of you familiar enough with this mica to assure me that this will morph into any kind of purple? This is it right after pouring.

yikes.jpg

Wisteria purple is my favorite purple to use and my experience has been that the color darkens and becomes richer somewhat after several hours. I'm always left thinking, "I didn't need to use that much." But for 13 lbs of soap 2 and 1/2 teaspoons doesn't sound like enough. Let's hope I'm wrong!

Wisteria purple is my favorite purple to use and my experience has been that the color darkens and becomes richer somewhat after several hours. I'm always left thinking, "I didn't need to use that much." But for 13 lbs of soap 2 and 1/2 teaspoons doesn't sound like enough. Let's hope I'm wrong!

I didn't think 2 1/2 tsp. was much, either, but it looked SO purple in the oils, before I added the lye, that I didn't dare add more. I did that once, and ended up with soap that looked like Welches grape juice, and I'm not a dark soap color person. So since I was going for light purple, I left it at 2 1/2 tsp. Now, I've had purples go corpse gray, but never hot chocolate before. Fingers crossed. I'll be keeping an eye on it. Thanks for your input.

Oh no, Nav! That just doesn't look right at all. I've soaped with their wisteria and orchid purples many times and the batter color was just what I was looking for right from the start. Hmmm..... Did you use lavender EO? Also, what about your base oils? Any hemp or very green OO? If you didn't use discoloring EO/FO or greenish base oils the only thing I can think of is something is up with the mica itself. My fingers are crossed it will morph to lavender/purple for you.

I made a batch using it about 6 weeks ago. My FO discolored a bit. I did an ITP swirl, leaving some without FO. Please pardon the bar- it's actually from my shower.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1444319707.873423.jpg
I cannot remember if I noticed the odd color while pouring.

Edit: I found "before" pics of mine in the mold, and one right after cut, if it helps. I can't add them to this post though, so they'll be next post.

Last edited:
Oh no, Nav! That just doesn't look right at all. I've soaped with their wisteria and orchid purples many times and the batter color was just what I was looking for right from the start. Hmmm..... Did you use lavender EO? Also, what about your base oils? Any hemp or very green OO? If you didn't use discoloring EO/FO or greenish base oils the only thing I can think of is something is up with the mica itself. My fingers are crossed it will morph to lavender/purple for you.

I used lavender FO, Costco olive oil, PKO, and coconut. I just checked again, still brown. But I looked at the bit of residue that was left in the pot after I scraped it, and maybe I'm seeing what I want to see, but it might be a little purple-ish, not purple, but purply, maybe? At least maybe not quite so brown as what's in the mold. So maybe there's hope? :Kitten Love:

Before- in the mold
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1444319981.110574.jpg
Cut-after CPOP
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1444320009.443959.jpg

I'm not sure if that helps you at all. Hopefully it morphs pretty for you!

I made a batch using it about 6 weeks ago. My FO discolored a bit. I did an ITP swirl, leaving some without FO. Please pardon the bar- it's actually from my shower.
View attachment 17098
I cannot remember if I noticed the odd color while pouring.

Edit: I found "before" pics of mine in the mold, and one right after cut, if it helps. I can't add them to this post though, so they'll be next post.

Well, the purple part is definitely purple. Not even close to what I've got. I'm trying to think of what I could name this to make it sound appealing. I've got nothin. LOL

I didn't think 2 1/2 tsp. was much, either, but it looked SO purple in the oils, before I added the lye, that I didn't dare add more. I did that once, and ended up with soap that looked like Welches grape juice, and I'm not a dark soap color person. So since I was going for light purple, I left it at 2 1/2 tsp. Now, I've had purples go corpse gray, but never hot chocolate before. Fingers crossed. I'll be keeping an eye on it. Thanks for your input.

I've never tried adding colorants before the lye - maybe that has something to do with it?

Anyone with the pretty purples here do it in the same order as nav?

I don't think you added enough. What a bummer, I've used it with no issues but I've never added it before my lye mixture either. They do have a couple that morph and change to the appropriate color after gel. Keeping my fingers crossed it morphs back for you.

My batch pictured above had the mica added to the lye water. I then took out just a little batter before adding the FO for my swirl.

I used a different, lavender purple without thinking about the fact that the soap in question came out slightly yellow.

Once I was done it looked sort of a sickly gray. The Soap of the Living Dead!

I used lavender FO, Costco olive oil, PKO, and coconut. I just checked again, still brown. But I looked at the bit of residue that was left in the pot after I scraped it, and maybe I'm seeing what I want to see, but it might be a little purple-ish, not purple, but purply, maybe? At least maybe not quite so brown as what's in the mold. So maybe there's hope? :Kitten Love:

Sounds like your recipe is very high in oo. I used to use Costco's oo as much as 50%, and it was at least a week before I knew for sure what color my soap would be, so maybe there's hope yet for your soap. (I've given up using olive oil because of the coloring challenges and added cure time. But now I have 2 jugs of it to finish off somehow. Maybe lots of Bastille and salad dressing?)

I use Costco OO at 40% and never have a problem with color morphing (hopefully I didn't just jinx myself). Usually what I see is what I get except with one of the yellows from Nurture that turns bright orange but then goes to a lovely yellow. I love the Wisteria and Iris purples.

I've never tried adding colorants before the lye - maybe that has something to do with it?

Anyone with the pretty purples here do it in the same order as nav?

Really? I've always added my micas to the oils.

I used a different, lavender purple without thinking about the fact that the soap in question came out slightly yellow.

Once I was done it looked sort of a sickly gray. The Soap of the Living Dead!

Dead Corpse Gray.....lavender is famous for turning that color, especially if you don't add enough.

I use Costco OO at 40% and never have a problem with color morphing (hopefully I didn't just jinx myself). Usually what I see is what I get except with one of the yellows from Nurture that turns bright orange but then goes to a lovely yellow. I love the Wisteria and Iris purples.

Yup, about 55% olive.

I don't think you used enough either. The purple micas I've used needs at least 1 tsp PPO.

I was prepared to add a lot more, but when I saw how purple it turned, I freaked.

Bottom line.....the big logs that gelled are purply. Quite purply. I'll know more when I cut them tomorrow, and will have pics then. The smaller, individual ones faded from that cocoa brown to a tannish kind of color. At least the majority of the soap, the two big logs, are an acceptable color for lavender soap. I really didn't know how I was gonna spin a brown lavender!

Thinking back, I may have added that mica to remnants of some purple that I had in a jar, and hadn't finished. Bad mix? Don't know, but I'm breathing a sigh of relief that it's not a total disaster...whew!

Can I be nosey and ask which lavender FO you used? I have one from NG that goes really brown. It's French lavender I think..

Sorry navigator, but I don't think the brown will come back to purple. :( At least half a tsp. per pound of oils should be used with any mica. I think you added just enough to make the batter go brown, especially if there was a lot of green or yellow oils. Gel will help, but it most likely won't create an intense purple with the usage rate you used.

Also, adding micas before lye is totally fine! When I'm making a one color soap I typically add the micas before the lye so I can't get it mixed really well without having to worry about trace. Works like a charm!

Back