Please tell me I'm not the only one who's ever done this....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vedwards

Reaction score
So, I got some honeysuckle FO and prepped to make a batch. Got it all in, mixed, poured in the fragrance... a little ricing. Okay. No problem.

Separated it out after I fixed that, and then it started to seize. I glopped it in the mold, trying to save it and wondering why it went so fast.... and then saw the bottle of olive oil I'd forgotten sitting on the floor.

ARGH! Now I'll have to scrap the whole batch because I forgot an ingredient, AND I wasted all the other materials!

Lesson learned. Double check everything.

Yes, we've all made errors. I always check off my oils and butters as I measure them. I also add my fragrance to my oils before my lye mixture unless it's a feisty on and I had stir it in. You can rebatch it and add you missing olive oil. It won't be pretty but it will be usable.

Fixed that for you!

Yes, we've all done that. I check my oils off as I measure them, then highlight them as I mix them together.

For me, it's forgetting to add fragrance. Honestly, the number of times I've been cleaning up after proudly finishing off another soapy masterpiece ( :lolno: ) only to find my wee jug of FO still sitting there, mocking me with its' unused-ness.

But I get around it by telling people I made it unfragranced to cater for those who don't like fragranced bars :) They seen to believe it too lol

Fixed that for you!

Yes, we've all done that. I check my oils off as I measure them, then highlight them as I mix them together.

I like the double marking system - might have to try that next time. Later this weekend. Definitely not today! lol

Glad to know I'm not the only one-I just felt so stupid when I realized it!

Nope- you're not the only one. :lol: I've since learned to go down my check list and mark everything off as I weigh it, and then I go one step further and do a practice, dry run-through right before I soap, which helps me to make sure everything is in its place and that nothing will get left out. I've learned one too many times that if I leave anything up to chance, chances are pretty good that I'll be kicking myself later on. lol

IrishLass :)

Do what Obsidian said :). You know exactly how much you left out sooooo easy fix!

Been there done that and did it again...maybe again...

Learned to do color before FO so if I put the wrong color in I can quickly switch FO's....

I keep everything to the left of me and as I measure out each oil/butter i put it to the right of me. I have made that mistake before and that is why I do this now.​

Also a great tip! Thanks!

nsmar4211 and Obsidian - I'll try. Going to check the thrift store for a crockpot on Saturday. I've never rebatched before, so we'll see how that goes!

So here's a question - if I'm rebatching this, I'll add in the missing ingredient, but can I also add in a little milk too, or would it be too much liquid?

Also, I've seen directions for using one of those baking bags in a pot of boiling water rather than the crockpot. I like the easy clean up aspect of that idea, but the crock pot also seems a little more reliable. Has anyone used the bag method?

Should I start a new thread?

Also, I've seen directions for using one of those baking bags in a pot of boiling water rather than the crockpot. I like the easy clean up aspect of that idea, but the crock pot also seems a little more reliable. Has anyone used the bag method?

They also make crock-pot liner bags - I love those for both soap and food! Makes cleanup much easier.

Been there done that. I soap in buckets and prepare several at a time. All my buckets are marked with their weight, so if I think something is off I just need to weigh the filled bucket. It is the easy to figure out what is missing. I also check off all oil was they go in the bucket

That's brilliant!

And I totally spaced and didn't think about the crockpot bags - DUH! Totally going to remember that when I cheat and use the crockpot to infuse my almond oil with calendula again!

Sorry to hear this, but you're human. Don't beat yourself up. I gravitated to masterbatching from the start so it's how I roll. I just melt and weigh my oils at time of use. One less thing to think of when the time comes and I have lye water around.

Back