Please,Say It Ain't So

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm hoping all I need is a bit of reassurance here. I found a few very pale yellowish spots in the blue section of this soap. They are barely visible so I can't post pics. I have never had an issue with DOS, and I hope this isn't the case here. The soap was uncolored and unscented and poured into three containers to be colored and scented individually, leaving a bit of base natural. The spots turned up only in the blue color, could it just be that I didn't thoroughly mix in the FO ( a mix of lilac and a Daisey dupe)?
The soap has not been exposed to any known metals. :smallshrug:

28753090777_6321e2849d.jpg

I have one bar in a batch that I thought developed DOS but eventually came to the realization that it was a bit of the nori I had used in that batch (soaked overnight, then blitzed in the blender). It does give one a start, though, doesn't it?

I was about ready to cry, but I'll hold off a bit. I have the soaps out where I can keep an eye on them. Really hoping it's just the FO. They were barely noticeable, but before I wrap the bars I check them over in the little bit of direct sunlight I get and there they were. :eek:
Thank you all for your lovely compliments, you made my day!

Hey Scard, first off, that's some awesome soap design.

As for the spots? I've had problems with lavender FO in the past. I had oil spots once, from me not blending in completely. Not positive that's what's going on here. My bet it is the FO and most likely the lavender. Some are just stubborn to work with.

How is it doing once cut and drying? still having spots? or did the decrease?

xyxoxy, I used a silicone mat used for cake fondant. You can find them on Amazon I got mine
here: http://www.crystalcandyusa.com/ourshop/cat_797667-CakeArt-Gold-Collection.html I like the unique designs they carry.
These particular ones were about $ 17, a bit expensive but they sell on Amazon for 5-8 $ more. (the shipping is a bit slow but the mats are very nice and the designs have very clear clean detail. I just trimmed the mat a bit and fit it into the bottom of the mold. Here is a link to the process: There are several youtube videos out there, they're a lot of fun to play
with!
43593919732_820225d83f.jpg

Aw thanks GreenTea Soaper! The soap is fully cured. I didn't notice the spots when I originally cut and cleaned the soap. I don't know if I just missed them, they are pretty faint. I saw them when I was wrapping the bars. I am going to keep my eye on them and my fingers crossed and pray it was just the FO. The soap in the pic above and the spotted one ( :( ) were made side by side with the same recipe, different FO's. I can't see any spot on these guys but I'm afraid to look too close. :D

Latest posts

Back