Please Please Please, help with my math. My head is spinning.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just want to bounce this off some people with better math skills than myself.
My head is spinning right now, and I think it's correct, but I don't want to make a mistake on this.

Making a 1 to 1 cbd to thc lotion
Since I already have the CBD in liquid form, I just needed to get the wax and calculate the correct percentages of each.

I need 100mg of each.
The CBD I have is 132mg of CBD in 1ml. 1ml = 1gram - correct? .8g of the cbd oil will give me 105.6mg of CBD. Is this correct?

The THC is a bit more difficult. 1 gram of wax contains 94.32% THC. I believe that means there is ~940 milligrams of THC in the 1 gram. Sooo ... to get 100mg of THC, I will need .13gm? This is the one that I'm lost on and weighing this might be a bit difficult.

Is there anyone around with real math skills that can weigh in on my dilemma? Pretty please? :)

I'm math-challenged as well. :rolleyes: So rather than doing the math, I find a recipe to follow and adjust from there. TIP: I plug the recipe (as is) into SoapCalc to get the % of each ingredient then use the % mode for 100 grams. Once the trial batch is made, it's easy to increase the batch to whatever size I want.

How to Make CBD Lotion, Cream & Salve - from Green Unicorn Farms

ETA:
¼ cup of oil base (we used sweet almond oil)
Up to ¾ cup of distilled, mineral, or spring water
¾ oz of beeswax
1 fl oz (30ml) CBD oil (we used our 1500mg full-spectrum oil)

20.5% sweet almond oil
61.5% distilled water
7.75% beeswax
10.25% CBD oil
100% = 100 grams TOTAL

Last edited:
I'm math-challenged as well. :rolleyes: So rather than doing the math, I find a recipe to follow and adjust from there. TIP: I plug the recipe into SoapCalc to get the % of each ingredient then use the % mode for 100 grams. Once the trial batch is made, it's easy to increase the batch to whatever size I want.

Haha, yes I use the calculators too. I like the percent calcs on WSP for things other than soap.
I have a recipe for the lotion side, I'm just trying to figure out the THC piece. I don't want to put too much in and get someone high. lol

For CBD I got the same number as you (0.8 or 0.7575 to be precise). But it refers to ml, and 1ml equals 1g only for water. Suppose the oil weighs 0.9g per ml:

1ml= 0,9g
0.7575ml = Xg

Cross multiplication
1 x X = 0.9 x 0.7575

X = 0,68175g aka 0.7g

For THC I got a different result that yours.

1g wax = 943,2mg thc
X = 100mg

Cross multiplication
X x 943,2 = 100 x 1

X = 100÷943,2

X = 0,1050g wax needed.

(It is 5am here, my brain refuses to sleep but thinks it can do math.)

I just want to bounce this off some people with better math skills than myself.
My head is spinning right now, and I think it's correct, but I don't want to make a mistake on this.

Making a 1 to 1 cbd to thc lotion
Since I already have the CBD in liquid form, I just needed to get the wax and calculate the correct percentages of each.

I need 100mg of each.
The CBD I have is 132mg of CBD in 1ml. 1ml = 1gram - correct? .8g of the cbd oil will give me 105.6mg of CBD. Is this correct?

The THC is a bit more difficult. 1 gram of wax contains 94.32% THC. I believe that means there is ~940 milligrams of THC in the 1 gram. Sooo ... to get 100mg of THC, I will need .13gm? This is the one that I'm lost on and weighing this might be a bit difficult.

Is there anyone around with real math skills that can weigh in on my dilemma? Pretty please? :)
I think @lianasouza ‘s calculations have it right. And she’s right, 1 ml of WATER = 1 g (…at 4 degrees C at sea level, if you want to be super picky).The weight of 1 ml of whatever the carrier oil for the CBD is depends on what the oil is. Does it say on the bottle? Most oils are around .9 g/ml but you can hopefully find out more specifically. But, say you go with 0.9, as @lianasouza did.That means that 0.9 g of the CBD product will have 0.00132 g THC. (Stick with grams instead of converting from g to mg for each calculation.)
I made a quick spreadsheet that shows how to do the calculations for both the CBD and THC. 🤓 If the carrier oil g/ml is different you can change it in the spreadsheet.
CBD conversions
I hope you are getting some sleep but when you come back to this take a look.

Last edited:
Haha, yes I use the calculators too. I like the percent calcs on WSP for things other than soap.
I have a recipe for the lotion side, I'm just trying to figure out the THC piece. I don't want to put too much in and get someone high. lol
I think you would need to put quite a lot on your skin to feel the psychedelic effect of THC in your head, but you will for sure feel the therapeutic side of it like relaxing and soothing pain if any at all.

OMG! You guys are awesome! Thank you sooo much for the help!

(It is 5am here, my brain refuses to sleep but thinks it can do math.)
I think your math is spot on! Thank you, this is very helpful.

And she’s right, 1 ml of WATER = 1 g (…at 4 degrees C at sea level, if you want to be super picky).The weight of 1 ml of whatever the carrier oil for the CBD is depends on what the oil is. Does it say on the bottle? Most oils are around .9 g/ml but you can hopefully find out more specifically. But, say you go with 0.9, as @lianasouza did.That means that 0.9 g of the CBD product will have 0.00132 g THC. (Stick with grams instead of converting from g to mg for each calculation.)
Interesting. I didn't realize the conversion was for water only and the oil is different. The CBD I have is in MCT Coconut oil. Didn't think about altitude being a factor either. Although I'm no longer above 6k, it is still 4k where I am now.

I made a quick spreadsheet that shows how to do the calculations for both the CBD and THC. 🤓 If the carrier oil g/ml is different you can change it in the spreadsheet.
CBD conversions
I hope you are getting some sleep but when you come back to this take a look.
Thanks for the spreadsheet! This is very helpful!

Bless you @lianasouza and @Vicki C with those crazy math skills - you have my utmost respect. 💯
… and bless you for your legal knowledge! ❤

I agree 100% Thank you so much!

Wow! That is a great calculator! Thanks!

I think you would need to put quite a lot on your skin to feel the psychedelic effect of THC in your head, but you will for sure feel the therapeutic side of it like relaxing and soothing pain if any at all.
Haha, I wonder how much would be too much.

I do have one last question though. I am having a hard time measuring such a tiny amount. Guess I'll need to buy another scale. In the meantime, if I melt the 1g of wax into x amount of MCT CO, what would be the easiest quantity to measure by gram instead of fraction of a gram?

OMG! You guys are awesome! Thank you sooo much for the help!

I think your math is spot on! Thank you, this is very helpful.

Interesting. I didn't realize the conversion was for water only and the oil is different. The CBD I have is in MCT Coconut oil. Didn't think about altitude being a factor either. Although I'm no longer above 6k, it is still 4k where I am now.

Thanks for the spreadsheet! This is very helpful!

I agree 100% Thank you so much!

Wow! That is a great calculator! Thanks!

Haha, I wonder how much would be too much.

I do have one last question though. I am having a hard time measuring such a tiny amount. Guess I'll need to buy another scale. In the meantime, if I melt the 1g of wax into x amount of MCT CO, what would be the easiest quantity to measure by gram instead of fraction of a gram?
Well if you have a gram of wax that has 943,2mg of thc, that would mean that 56.8mg of your wax is pollution, meaning herbal material. So if you state 1g of thc you are almost accurate. Does this make sence?
Btw, that must be a hell of a wax

Well if you have a gram of wax that has 943,2mg of thc, that would mean that 56.8mg of your wax is pollution, meaning herbal material. So if you state 1g of thc you are almost accurate. Does this make sence?
Btw, that must be a hell of a wax
Yes, it makes perfect sense!
Yes, it is great wax! Sugar wax. :)

Yes, it makes perfect sense!
Yes, it is great wax! Sugar wax. :)
They sell jeweler’s scales that are not expensive that measure to .01 g. I would think it would be a good investment because I know cbd is pricey and I imagine THC is too.

I found a source that says coconut oil = 0.924 g/ml. I changed the value in the first column of the spreadsheet, so now you’ll need 0.82 g of the cbd in carrier oil to get 1 g. Don’t worry about elevation that would only make a difference to decimal places beyond what you care about.

They sell jeweler’s scales that are not expensive that measure to .01 g. I would think it would be a good investment because I know cbd is pricey and I imagine THC is too.

I found a source that says coconut oil = 0.924 g/ml. I changed the value in the first column of the spreadsheet, so now you’ll need 0.82 g of the cbd in carrier oil to get 1 g. Don’t worry about elevation that would only make a difference to decimal places beyond what you care about.
This is the small scale I have now, but it doesn't seem to work on trying to weigh out a tiny bit of THC.
I found a great deal on THC. It can be just as expensive, but I found some not too far from me for $17.00 a gram. :)

Latest posts

Back