Please help! Seeking red bath water!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brezo11

Reaction score
Hello all! This is my first post here but I love this forum and I am hoping to find some specific advice.

For weeks I have been trying to find a pigment, lake, or dye that will give my bath bombs and the bath water a true scarlet color. I have tried a few different micas with very disappointing results. I have also tried varying amounts of Red 40 lake combined with black iron oxide to try to make it darker, but the water always ends up sort of a grapefruit pink, not the deep scarlet I was hoping for.

Any thoughts or advice? I recently bought some red iron oxide in the hopes that will give me what I am looking for, but I’m beginning to get discouraged. Thank you!

Oh my what a surprise this was when I read the title. You are serious, however, and I wish I knew how you could manage a deep red color in bathwater. But the dilution of any color in the usually high amount of water that goes into a bath would be very difficult to manage, I would guess. I really do not know and wouldn't know where to start. I'd love to hear if you find a solution, though, just because.

Have you tried contacting one of the vendors who sells colorants made specifically for bath bombs? There are bath-bomb specific colorants at BrambleBerry, Nurture Soap and Mad Micas. There may be others, but those are the ones I know. Carrie at Nurture Soap is extremely helpful and quite the expert on color mixing. She's also a member here, but I haven't seen her post in awhile, so would suggest trying to contact her via email from the Nurture Soaps website.

Oh my gosh I swear I’m not crazy! I didn’t really think about the title until you said something and it does sound ridiculous or like a joke, but here’s the explanation- I’m trying to make character themed bath bombs and one of them requires red.

I definitely could try to contact them! Thanks for the advice and for the reply even though it’s a weird post.

@Brezo11 are you on Instagram? I've seen several posts of red water in tubs lol just wondering if you can ask some of those makers if they're willing to share where they got theirs?
_20190328_153253.JPG

I could ask if you don't have an account but I can't promise you quicker results than if you ask the suppliers..

Latest posts

Back