Please help me to explain to people why FO is used instead of EO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't even know what a "petard" is, exactly, but I like the picture of someone hoisting themselves on their own! I know it is not a good thing, though, I try to keep my own petard in a safe place :)

in my native language it`s a small firecracker

i think so, barring the unlikely possibility she comes back and lambasts us all (and then i will beat her with my petard. I am sorry, i think i am experiencing some petard intoxication, or something :)) i hope your day got better!

rofl

Wow. That is quite the contradiction.

Maybe folks on this forum convinced her to expand her herizons?

You all pretty quickly convinced me to try FOs ... lard... And sugar...and salt! :)
Yes, I was an EO slut until I was swayed by the members here. Tried my first FO in my last batch (I thought you were talking about me). I still love EO but I no longer snub FOs, I can get combinations of scents that I can't get in an EO and for a fraction of the price.

R, you should never think people are talking about you here (unless it is on the same thread and they *are* actually talking about you!) Folks are pretty upfront, they won't take petty side-swipes.

I am glad you are checking out FO's. They are not for everyone - I make some soaps w/just eo's (or unscented) for my sister, who cannot tolerate FO's, susie here is like that too, who knows how many folks in the general population, and in increasing numbers b/c of increasing scent irritants in the environment. But FO's are so great when you *can* use them.

I am pretty much OK using anything that I have researched and can defend, "natural" or not. And am OK w/people disagreeing w/me, as long as they can support their position. Ie; telling me that something that I use is crap and dangerous because it is non-natural, without being able to provide a principled, reasoned argument, is not at all convincing or agreeable to me.

Wow, I am beating that poor old dead horse into a pulp. I was going to delete this post, but I took too much time to type it :smile:

Last edited:
Honestly? I hate to use FOs. Normally all of our soaps are made with EOs because my sister is allergic to something in FOs. As in saw an allergist and was tested allergic. We have one customer for whom we make custom soaps using FOs.

I cannot wait to get this latest set out of my house. One of them makes my chest hurt when I am too close to it for an extended period of time. I really, really don't want to deal with the long term consequences of them.

Honestly? I hate to use FOs. Normally all of our soaps are made with EOs because my sister is allergic to something in FOs. As in saw an allergist and was tested allergic. We have one customer for whom we make custom soaps using FOs.

I cannot wait to get this latest set out of my house. One of them makes my chest hurt when I am too close to it for an extended period of time. I really, really don't want to deal with the long term consequences of them.

That sounds horrible.

Clearly FO's are not a good choice for *you* ....

R, you should never think people are talking about you here (unless it is on the same thread and they *are* actually talking about you!) Folks are pretty upfront, they won't take petty side-swipes.
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't insulted, we had just talked about right before I read the post and I thought...hmmm.
I had been pulling my hair out finding a guy scent that I didn't hate with my EOs and ordered some bay rum and just love it!
Other than basics like lavender and eucalyptus for my soaps, most of my EOs were used for medicines and I've been trying to broaden my horizons with scents in my soaps...it's a lot harder to do than I imagined...but then again I am often accused of being OCD...that's my medical background kicking in...

This is why I think that proper fume filtering masks (not just dust masks) are wise for people making a lot of scented soap. It might be overkill in 90% of the situations, but when I get a face full of FO or even a strong EO, I don't actually have to breathe it in.

Not meaning to scaremonger in any way at all, just saying that it can be a solution for those who want to use FOs but have trouble with them

I think you need to get tested as well for allergies. Chest hurting could be a symptom of airways constricting, as in an asthma attack, or an acid reflux, another way allergy could present. Those N 95 masks that TEG mentioned will help avoid breathing those scents in but allergies are seldom respiratory alone.
Those allergens could gain access to the blood stream in several ways, skin being the easiest route. So please get tested and totally avoid things you are allergic to.

This is why I think that proper fume filtering masks (not just dust masks) are wise for people making a lot of scented soap. It might be overkill in 90% of the situations, but when I get a face full of FO or even a strong EO, I don't actually have to breathe it in.

Not meaning to scaremonger in any way at all, just saying that it can be a solution for those who want to use FOs but have trouble with them

I have considered wearing a mask for two reasons. The first is that I don't smell lye fumes before I start coughing from them. The second reason is because EO's have given me stomach aches and headaches just about every time I have worked with them. The fact that they make me feel sick is one of the main reasons why I was able to listen when people told me that EOs are potent medicine, not just scents. Interestingly, I haven't ever gotten sick from smelling FOs. But I do realize that everyone is different.

The fact that they make me feel sick is one of the main reasons why I was able to listen when people told me that EOs are potent medicine, not just scents.

Yup, ya got that right. In fact some EOs are toxic used straight on the skin. Bitter Almond EO has prussic acid...AKA cyanide!

Back