Please help me to explain to people why FO is used instead of EO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to jump in here on the FO/EO/no scent debate. I make all kinds of cold process soap, unscented, EO only, FO only, or a combination of FO and EO's. My best sellers are the soaps scented with fragrance oils. I have had many many times a customer come up and ask for unscented or essential oil only soaps and I point them out. Invariably, they purchase the fragrance oil soaps! I have one customer that is certain that he is allergic to fragrance oils, yet he buys my lilac scented soap though I told him there is no lilac essential oil, it is a man made fragrance oil. Last week he brought a friend, bragging that my soaps are so superior he is able to use them even though they are not scented with essential oils. Hmmmm... I just smile and sell him some more. I do purchase good quality phalate free scents but it is funny what people think they want and what they actually want!

Not to beat a dead horse (OK, I know I am), but after this thread I came across a post from the person here who was insisting that everything in their soaps was natural. It was about their latest batch using MP. Now, I am an MP fan, but that did definitely not drop off of a tree.

NA.. I just love ya.. You've got quite a memory. Remind me never to get on your bad side hahaha...

NA.. I just love ya.. You've got quite a memory. Remind me never to get on your bad side hahaha...

I am a lawyer, we remember all kinds of things that come up in writing, it is useful in the trade. We are like elephants :)

ETA: I think you are safe from the nooks and crannies of my evil elephant memory, though Viv, no need to worry!

Last edited:
Not to beat a dead horse (OK, I know I am), but after this thread I came across a post from the person here who was insisting that everything in their soaps was natural. It was about their latest batch using MP. Now, I am an MP fan, but that did definitely not drop off of a tree.

Wow. That is quite the contradiction.

Maybe folks on this forum convinced her to expand her herizons?

You all pretty quickly convinced me to try FOs ... lard... And sugar...and salt! :)

Wow. That is quite the contradiction.

Maybe folks on this forum convinced her to expand her herizons?

You all pretty quickly convinced me to try FOs ... lard... And sugar...and salt! :)

LOL JayJay they converted me to lard in a blink, tossed my elitist "all natural" nonsense in my face and corrected me on that, and now have me seriously considering micas and oxides. These folks are downright dangerous LOL

"...Maybe folks on this forum convinced her to expand her herizons?..."

Well, if it's the person I'm thinking of (not Gigi, by the way), I suspect she moved on to find others in better agreement with her views. Thankfully....!

Yep! I was not comfortable with the safety and accuracy of some of the soaping advice given, and a comment this person made about another individual was utterly inappropriate and unnecessary. I have no patience with either issue.

Last edited:
Yes, that was the one. I had a brief moment of horror just now thinking I had remembered the wrong poster, but checked. JJ, Her MP thread predated this thread, so I don't think our collective reasoning changed her mind, it is a flat out inconsistency.

Last edited:
Scent wise, I generally prefer lavender EO to lavender FOs. Lavender EO is more complex, and it is also harsher, more medicinal, more herbal, more woody. Which are I know are not good sounding adjectives, but I like that about lavender EO. What really ticks me off is things labeled lavender scented that smell like lilac. I mean...I know they are both purple and they are both flowers and they both start with L...but seriously!

gigisguenza said:
LOL JayJay they converted me to lard in a blink, tossed my elitist "all natural" nonsense in my face and corrected me on that, and now have me seriously considering micas and oxides. These folks are downright dangerous LOL

WooHoo! One down, hundreds more to go! ;) :razz:

Her MP thread predated this thread, so I don't think our collective reasoning changed her mind, it is a flat out inconsistency.

To be completely fair, though, she only made the MP because a pipe in her house burst and destroyed much of her stock that she was planning to bring to a craft fair/show. The MP was only a last-ditch effort to help fill in the gap left by her missing, destroyed stock.

IrishLass :)

But she still used it IL, despite apparently thinking that "non-natural" ingredients are horrible and bad for people. If I felt that way I would never use MP (let along give/sell it to others), no matter what the situation was. Also, she was proud enough of the soap to post it for people's comments ....

I am probably being overly critical here, but I still think she hoisted herself on her own petard with that.

Last edited:
But she still used it IL, despite apparently thinking that "non-natural" ingredients are horrible and bad for people. If I felt that way I would never use MP, no matter what the situation was. Also, she was proud enough of the soap to post it for people's comments ....

Very good point not_ally. You are quite right. I had forgotten the most obvious point that she did indeed go ahead with the MP stop-gap measure in spite of her strongly-espoused 'all-natural' stance, and also in spite of being firmly advised against it by those who responded to her inquiry.

not_ally said:
I am probably being overly critical here, but I still think she hoisted herself on her own petard with that

Another good point. You are definitely right about that.........and I love your 'hoist/petard' expression so much that I hope to find an opportunity to use it in a sentence today. :p

Say, did anyone ever tell you that you'd make a good lawyer. ;)

I don't even know what a "petard" is, exactly, but I like the picture of someone hoisting themselves on their own! I know it is not a good thing, though, I try to keep my own petard in a safe place :)

I don't even know what a "petard" is, exactly, but I like the picture of someone hoisting themselves on their own! I know it is not a good thing, though, I try to keep my own petard in a safe place :)

You know what's really funny, not_ally? I don't even know what a petard is either (although I shall Google it today), but I quickly found my opportunity to use it, and guess what? It was on myself! :lol: I guess one should be careful what they hope for! :p

ETA: A petard is a small bell-shaped bomb used in breaching a wall or gate.

Last edited:
Haha... if my vocab is any good at all... Petard is a bomb?

Hey, NA, you da petard! [snort] Okay.. so slow day in engineering does not improve my sense of humor...

That is so funny, in my imagination I thought of it as something like a lance/jousting stick that stuck you in your own butt if you used it the wrong way :) I think I still always managed to use it right, though!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back