Please help makin bathbomb

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So iv been trying a few week now to make bath bombs but im at a loss why its not working as it should so hoping someone can help why its going wrong.

I get no colour coming out of them and the slsa doesn't foam just lots of bubbles what could be going wrong im using 1 cup citric acid 2 cups bicarb half cup slsa and have now tried both mica powder and water soluable liquid dye. Iv also tried adding polysorbate 80
Please someone help
Thanks

How much mica/dye are you using? What are you using to bind your ingredients? Can you post pics of the what you see in the tub?

I don’t see an issue with your current recipe but I also don’t use slsa.

i use half a teaspoon of mica. i have a video of it but its to big for upload is there some where i can host and post a url to it?
Try dyes instead of micas if you want the water/foam to be colored. Micas will if you use a LOT, but then you absolutely need the polysorbate for it to disperse in the water. Dyes will color the foam and the water, and will disperse without an extra emulsifier.

Try dyes instead of micas if you want the water/foam to be colored. Micas will if you use a LOT, but then you absolutely need the polysorbate for it to disperse in the water. Dyes will color the foam and the water, and will disperse without an extra emulsifier.
Asin liquid dyes? as that video i used liquid dye in it and it didn't help

20 Colour Bath Bomb Soap Dye - Food Grade Bath Bomb Colourant Skin Safe Colouring for Soap Making Supplies - Rainbow Liquid Soap Colourant for DIY Bath Bomb Supplies Kit, Handmade Soaps, Slime, Crafts https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TMZLXW8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5pQGDbFAE9MHX

Those are the liquid ones i used

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my powdered dyes from SaveOnCitric. True dyes will definitely color your water, even when used in small quantities.
As for the non-foaming issue, sometimes additional powdered ingredients can help the SLSA create a foam. Milks, oatmeal, arrowroot, nutrasorb, etc might help create the foam you're looking for. My bombs are super foamy and I use around 6-8% extra powdered ingredients.

I got my powdered dyes from SaveOnCitric. True dyes will definitely color your water, even when used in small quantities.
As for the non-foaming issue, sometimes additional powdered ingredients can help the SLSA create a foam. Milks, oatmeal, arrowroot, nutrasorb, etc might help create the foam you're looking for. My bombs are super foamy and I use around 6-8% extra powdered ingredients.
What about cornstarch would that help?

If you are planning to sell at some point you would be better sourcing dyes specifically designed for bath bombs, there are a few but you would need to order larger quantities. Try the usual suppliers

Soaposh
Just a soap
Soap kitchen

I have also heard good things about Eazycolours.

If you are planning to sell at some point you would be better sourcing dyes specifically designed for bath bombs, there are a few but you would need to order larger quantities. Try the usual suppliers

Soaposh
Just a soap
Soap kitchen

I have also heard good things about Eazycolours.

yes i want to make a business of it when i finally get them right.

I too recommend sourcing dyes not micas. While Micas do work to a point it takes a lot. I use dyes that I purchased from Wholesale Supplies Plus from another soapmaker that went out of business. A little goes a long way.

Latest posts

Back