Please check this recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't use a antioxidant with my rice bran, it probably would have helped a lot. Too bad you can't get HO safflower, its looking to be a very promising OO replacement and it quite a lot cheaper.

I checked camellia on soapcalc, the creaminess # is only 11 where shea is 45 so I don't know if it will add much to the creamy of your soap but it is very conditioning. Since you got it at a good price, I say try it in a small batch and see how it is.

Are you allergic to palm and animal fats too or do you just prefer not to use those? If you weren't so far away, I'd send you one of my 100% safflower bars.

I can get safflower oil but have to order it. Here it is more expensive than OO. That's a quick search though. Prices vary a lot for all the different oils from different suppliers.

I am allergic to Palm. Not sure about the animal fats it would depend on the additives. It's just easier to go for pure plant based oils that I know will be safe.

Thanks for the help in narrowing down a good recipe for me.
It will be interesting trying to work out the differences between "creamy" and "conditioning". I am already trying to be more observant about lather and bubbles :)

I made two batches today.

Rice Bran Oil 60%
Shea Oil 10%
Camellia Oil 10%
Olive oil 10% 1/2 with oil infused Spiralina (temporary green! :))
Castor Oil 10%
30% lye concentration and 5% superfat.

It started to gel just at the end and I rushed it into the mold. I was trying to think where I'd gone wrong when I realised I've been mixing it too much and watching for trace but not storing the batter to make sure it's evenly mixed. So the top might have just reached trace but the bottom was over mixed. I think this is a problem with using a jug to mix.

Anyway I thought I'd test the theory and made another batch! 2 in one day!
Rice bran oil 40%
Olive Oil 30%
Almond Oil 10%
Shea Butter 10%
Castor Oil 10%
1 tsp red clay mixed with water for pink colour.

It went really well.
Both are sitting in the cooling oven wrapped in a blanket.
So exciting when it goes well.

I also used soap from my first batch for the first time today. It is pretty good even though it is coconut, Palm and olive oil with a touch of castor. An easy basic recipe which is great for anyone who has normal skin and no allergies.

Last edited:
I am allergic to Palm. Not sure about the animal fats it would depend on the additives. It's just easier to go for pure plant based oils that I know will be safe.

I also used soap from my first batch for the first time today. It is pretty good even though it is coconut, Palm and olive oil with a touch of castor. An easy basic recipe which is great for anyone who has normal skin and no allergies.

OK, now I am confused.

The oils you are allergic too, is the allergy triggered by eating them or having them on your skin? Just because you are allergic to a food, doesn't necessarily mean it will bother you in soap.

Soap Bar QualityRangeYour Recipe
Hardness 29 - 54 --- 27. Cleansing 12 - 22 --- 7. Conditioning 44 - 69-- 72. Bubbly 14 - 46 12. Creamy 16 - 48 24. Iodine 41 - 70 92. INS 136 - 165 yours 102
I like only one number and it is conditioning:)
The soap will be very soft, not bubbly, Camellia is very expensive and better used for lotions. You should start from a simple soap first and do not discharge lard, it is awesome in soaps. my best ones are containing lard and tallow, :) I have some vegan soaps but I do not like it, at all. :)

Last edited:
OK, now I am confused.

A friend taught me to soap and we made a 30% coconut, 30% olive, 30% palm and 10% castor oil soap. I am not going to throw it away and assume it is going to be better for me than bought soap.

I have a salicylate allergy. It gives me migraines and other symptoms. It is getting worse. I am really sick at the moment with some unknown lung disease which could possibly be related to salicylates.

I am trying not to eat salicylates. Salicylates are easily transferred across your skin. When your skin is warm it is even more likely to transfer anything. SO I am avoiding putting salicylates on my skin too.

Various substances have higher amounts of salicylates. So my eventual recipe will not have salicylates. My dh has bad eczema and really benefits from Olive oil soap. But it is going to take 12 months for our bars have cured he'll be using whatever I make.

I hope that clears up the confusion.

The oils you are allergic too, is the allergy triggered by eating them or having them on your skin? Just because you are allergic to a food, doesn't necessarily mean it will bother you in soap.

I know. But I am willing to try anything at the moment because I am not very well at all. The most annoying thing is I don't get any direct skin symptoms, just illness.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back