Please check out my labels.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luebella

Reaction score
I'm not planning on selling any time soon. Just doing tons of creating, testing and research. Would you mind checking out my labels? Thanks so much.

1448503593831.jpg

1448503601298.jpg

1448503609358.jpg

1448503615818.jpg

Just me, but I would list ingredients in order of weight, e.g. is your castor oil volume more than your water? I'm outta touch having not made soap in a long time but...

Just me, but I would list ingredients in order of weight, e.g. is your castor oil volume more than your water? I'm outta touch having not made soap in a long time but...
Do you not list in Sodiums? and should the iron oxide have the CI number. I am in Canada and we have to do it this way
Btw Sodium Hydroxide is not in your soap anymore, otherwise it would be a lye heavy soap. If you want to list glycerin on your label, (comes out in the process) NAOHx0.77= glycerin
Water probably is like 10% after the saponification process

Do you not list in Sodiums? and should the iron oxide have the CI number. I am in Canada and we have to do it this way
Btw Sodium Hydroxide is not in your soap anymore, otherwise it would be a lye heavy soap. If you want to list glycerin on your label, (comes out in the process) NAOHx0.77= glycerin
Water probably is like 10% after the saponification process

Most people label by the rule of 'what goes into the pot' rather than what comes out of the pot. Unless you have your soap tested (at a pretty hefty expensive, I'd imagine) there's no definitive way of knowing what is left at the end in what amounts.

Perhaps that's correct for Canada, but the above method seems standard for most countries that I've come across.

My understanding is that it can be done either way, what goes in the pot or what comes out. I think for most, it's easiest to list what went in - both for the maker and the buyer.

She is in the US. So, no need to list in sodiums, or CI numbers. Plain English is what is required here, I believe.

ETA- I LOVE those labels. One font on the front. Elegant, simple, powerful. I would buy it. Too many labels have way too much going on for my taste.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!
From what I've been reading the oils have to be listed with inci names. Is that wrong? I'd love to not have to put that all on there that long lol

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on where you are located. In the US, you do not have to technically label soap so long as you do not claim any cosmetic benefits. If you do label your soap, you must follow the Cosmetic labeling guide.

More info: http://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/labeling/regulations/ucm126444.htm#clgl

They want common names listed in descending order.

ETA: I believe you can include INCI names in parenthesis after each common name, but you have to follow the same scheme for your entire label. That's totally optional though.

Last edited:
OK so to play it safe maybe I'll stick with how I did it on lipbalm across all of my products. I just read a soap queen blog saying u do need inci. So confusing lol

But your lip balms are also wrong - if you use inci, it has to be in brackets after the common name. The soap queen doesn't set your regulations, so if what she says goes against what the official site says, go with the official version!

She is in the US. So, no need to list in sodiums, or CI numbers. Plain English is what is required here, I believe.

ETA- I LOVE those labels. One font on the front. Elegant, simple, powerful. I would buy it. Too many labels have way too much going on for my taste.
you are so lucky, I have all the rules and everything must be in two languages , like that, only business name and soap name can be in English

Last edited:
OK I'm gonna stick with just common names to make things easier. Thanks!!
Just to make sure. I have to put water before castor and use common names. Then they will be good to go? I really appreciate the advice

Last edited by a moderator:
Back