Please be patient

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flhusker

Reaction score
I am brand new to soap making and have been making only melt and pour soaps. I've had really good luck with Oatmeal and am now ready for the next step.

Where do I find information on adding herbs to soaps and what benefit each herb gives?

Also, where do I find information on adding things like Vitamin E, Aloe, etc.

Finally, my soap seems to lose it's scent over a short period of time (while it's curing) why? Am I not using enough?

Thanks.
flhusker

look up at the top of the page to the right side. there is a search button. you can find lots of old threads with good info. and just browse through posts and read ones of interest. if you look and can't find what you want, post a question.

how much scent and what kind (essential oil, fragrance oil) are you using?

You might consider buying an herbal quick reference. Most any EO starts out as an herb so that could help you determine which herbs you might want to use (ie. "I like Lavender EO, so lets use lavender buds"). As a principal for my HP soaps, I use 1/2 cup, of anything (oats, herbs, coconut) per six pounds.

So far I have only used Fragrance Oils for my soaps. Maybe that is where I am going wrong. I guess I need to start using the EO. Do I use it in the same amount at the Fragrance Oils? Where can I get a book that will clue me in on what to do?
Thanks.
flhusker

I started out making melt and pour with fragrance oils. Now I make CP soap and I still use fragrance oils. I make the scent how I like it. I don't really measure.

I do M&P and only us fragrance oil, w/ the exceotion of lavender. i do use lavender eo.

Are you wanting to add things to M&P or to CP? I was not clear on that.

There are several recipe sites online. By skimming through some of the recipes you can see at what qty other people are adding additives.

flhusker said:
So far I have only used Fragrance Oils for my soaps. Maybe that is where I am going wrong. I guess I need to start using the EO. Do I use it in the same amount at the Fragrance Oils? Where can I get a book that will clue me in on what to do?
Thanks.
flhusker

I use 4oz EO per six pounds of soap. Guess you can tell, I make primarily six pound batches. As for books, check out the library. Mine, at least, gets new books quite often.

Latest posts

Back