Please advise

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to my Googling, the stuff that floats to the top of the can of coconut milk is mostly fat and the stuff on the bottom is mostly water. So, you could let your can sit still a few days to separate, then put it in the fridge or freezer for a few hours. Open the can and lift out the cake of coconut cream/fat from the top. Weigh and include that as coconut oil and weigh the water and calculate it as water.

Although I do use silk cocoons in my non vegan soaps I cannot say I notice any difference in feel. I am not sure if Zolveria is talking about actual silk or the milk called Silk. I use actual silk mainly for label appeal and/or power of suggestion such as my Silky Hump Day soaps :)

Good point about actual silk (like made by silk worms) or silk, the soy milk replacement.
However, my statement could work for both, because I have found my goat milk soaps in blind tests don't feel any more luxurious per-say - just a difference in the lather. However, there is the label appeal factor, and I just like making goats milk soaps, so I have some for those that will inevitably ask. :)

I'm certain this is true for some brands, but the coconut milk that is sold around my area apparently has additives in it to keep the fat and water from separating. I'm not sure the idea of letting the two layers separate will always work. Maybe the ingredients list might give a person a clue whether the CM will separate or not?

...the stuff that floats to the top of the can of coconut milk is mostly fat and the stuff on the bottom is mostly water.....

The bars I made are curing, but I decided to try them out, nice lather and not too drying.

**note: not in my original recipe, I added 2T warmed honey mixed with 6T of water.

On to my next question, I tried out the same recipe for CP. At trace, the color was creamy and light. When I added the honey at the end, right before the pour, the color turned orange (like carrot puree). I popped it in the freezer just in case, and it seems to have lightened some already. But I'm curious on why the honey would've caused orange-- any thoughts?

Oh dear. It set up in the fridge, so I unmolded. Seems the honey settled to the bottom. I decided to cut, because I'm already thinking it needs to be re-batched.

Before I do that, is that wise at this point or am I off base? Also what caused that? It did not happen when I use the recipe HP.

Is the milk and extra water you used to mix the honey all part of the total amount of “water” in the recipe?
It should be.

It is a fine line with coconut oil soaps to get the temp low enough so as not to burn the milk and or burn the honey but high enough to keep the CO liquid.

I would not use honey (especially so much) in a high CO soap.

The bars I made are curing, but I decided to try them out, nice lather and not too drying.

**note: not in my original recipe, I added 2T warmed honey mixed with 6T of water.

On to my next question, I tried out the same recipe for CP. At trace, the color was creamy and light. When I added the honey at the end, right before the pour, the color turned orange (like carrot puree). I popped it in the freezer just in case, and it seems to have lightened some already. But I'm curious on why the honey would've caused orange-- any thoughts?

Back