Playing with Emulsifiers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have 14 sample bags and containers of assorted emulsifiers that I am trying out. Today I wanted to try again for a spray-able lotion and ended up with a really mousse type lotion. It is so pretty and fluffy. It was a Lotioncrafter recipe that I tweaked. LOL, the tweak turned out really different. Their recipe called for Lotioncrafter GMS which is Glyceryl Stearate, I used the one I have, and Cetaryl Alcohol and Ceteareth 20. Those I did not have but my NCD 20 emulsifier contains both ingredients, but do not know the percentage. Did not want to waste my squalane so I used olive oil. Wow, how different it turned out from their description. Go figure, I have made 6 test batches of spray lotions and only my very first one sprays. Still waiting to see if it is going to separate, but it is now 6 weeks old and looking good.

Really need to be making soap and here I am playing with lotions again. I have become just as addicted to making lotions as soap I think. :) I do not even use lotion! Just cannot decide which emulsifier to try next...
Who would have thought lotions would be fun to make

My first batch of spray lotion was made with Olivem LV Flex using 9% oil phase. So far no separation and it feels very nice. I use large beakers in place of measuring cups so I can heat them directly on the stove or hot plate.

Just finished up a small batch of Milk Lotion and it emulsified great. Now to let it sit at least 8 weeks and see if the emulsion holds. I tweaked my recipe a tad and used 4.4% Sesame Oil, 2% IPM, 5% Olivem LV Flex. With a batch last night I find Sodium Lactate does not seem to work, I had a lot of trouble getting it to emulsify and it is thicker than I want so went back to 1% glycerin

I am hoping Lotioncrafter will carry the Olivem LV Flex, and have emailed them, otherwise I am back to square one. The rep from the manufacturer has not managed to get back to me about price on the 40 lbs. Thought maybe I could get together a co-op purchase.

I did make another milk batch using Oliwax LC, Olivem 800 and Olivem 300 which certainly does make a milk lotion, but I am not liking the feel as much. In this batch I used Hemp Oil, IPM and FCO. Going to try another small batch using Sesame and FCO nixing the IPM. At least these emulsifiers can Surfacant and be purchased from Lotioncrafter

Last edited:
Back