Plastic Moulds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wessam

Reaction score
Hi.. I have been making soap for one year and I have always used the silicone moulds. I am considering now purchasing new moulds. I found very nice ones on Amazon, but they stresss on that these are not silicone made but plastic, though it is particularly made for soap making.

Has anyone used plastic moulds before? and are they safe to use for cold process soap?

They are safe but very difficult to unmold from plastic. Especially if you are looking a loaf molds. I only use silicone as nothing compares to the ease of unmolding. Except when I use my wood molds (rarely) and line them with freezer paper.

The ones I consider purchasing are decorative units not in a loaf tray. So I think this is going to be rather more difficult to unmould.. right?

Grease them with mineral oil and that helps a lot! I have a few plastic molds with designs I LOVE and I'm seriously considering making a silicone mold with this shape.

I have a shelf of plastic individual molds from when I was just starting out. Anything with detail will stick, often even if you freeze them. Pam or other veggie spray helps to some degree, but not enough in the intricate detail. I tried mineral oil but really didn't like the idea of using it on my skin. Also, the molds crack and break relatively quickly, then they're useless. And you can't CPOP. Major PITA in my opinion, going to donate all of mine. I use silicone only and love them.

If they are like the Milky Way molds, yes, they are more difficult to unmold cleanly. I love silicone molds, but every once in a while, there's a plastic mold that I fall in love with and just can't resist. I have quite a few of the Milky Way molds and when I want to use them, I add sodium lactate to my recipe, and put them in the freezer before unmolding, and hold my breath and cross my fingers, and usually have good luck with that method. Below is a pic of a soap from their dragonfly mold, and you can see that all the detail is intact. But if you do put them in the freezer, you have to take care when trying to unmold them, because the plastic is brittle, and will crack easily. I know from experience.

dragonfly.jpg

If they are like the Milky Way molds, yes, they are more difficult to unmold cleanly. I love silicone molds, but every once in a while, there's a plastic mold that I fall in love with and just can't resist. I have quite a few of the Milky Way molds and when I want to use them, I add sodium lactate to my recipe, and put them in the freezer before unmolding, and hold my breath and cross my fingers, and usually have good luck with that method. Below is a pic of a soap from their dragonfly mold, and you can see that all the detail is intact. But if you do put them in the freezer, you have to take care when trying to unmold them, because the plastic is brittle, and will crack easily. I know from experience.

Yes I mean the Milky Way ones... very pretty... and your soap looks BEAUTIFUL :)

Thank you guys for your feedback.. apparently I should save my money and try to get nice silicone ones :)

I have a shelf of plastic individual molds from when I was just starting out. Anything with detail will stick, often even if you freeze them. Pam or other veggie spray helps to some degree, but not enough in the intricate detail. I tried mineral oil but really didn't like the idea of using it on my skin. Also, the molds crack and break relatively quickly, then they're useless. And you can't CPOP. Major PITA in my opinion, going to donate all of mine. I use silicone only and love them.

Don't use veggie oil or any oil that will saponify. Then it will do just that - saponify - and glue the soap to the mold.

Use mineral oil.

Thank you guys for your feedback.. apparently I should save my money and try to get nice silicone ones :)

Make sure the molds are for soap. I used a silicone one I had for muffins which is red and it turns my soap red where it touches it. I washes off but it would be annoying if I wanted to use it all the time.

Make sure the molds are for soap. I used a silicone one I had for muffins which is red and it turns my soap red where it touches it. I washes off but it would be annoying if I wanted to use it all the time.

Thank you dear.. So far I use the ones for food and they go fine.. It is not easy where i live to find mtaerial that are specific for soap making as this craft is not very popular here.

Thank you dear.. So far I use the ones for food and they go fine.. It is not easy where i live to find mtaerial that are specific for soap making as this craft is not very popular here.

Soap molds are expensive here too. I've been looking for neutral coloured food molds but it appears red is the go atm.

Back