Plastic molds and glitter lines…

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinbago27

Reaction score
Hi All!

hope everyone had a nice holiday…I have 2 questions:
Can a plastic mold me used for CP? Will the soap be released or will it stick to the mold?

Also, if I poured shimmer glitter in oil throughout the soap batter, will it show up like a mica line or vein, or will it cause the soap to break apart at the lines?

thank you for your help!!

I've reused a variety of plastic containers as molds, and haven't had much problem with them, including small yogurt containers, the plastic liners that hold cookies inside the package, and the like.

My mica lines have only been dry, not in oil. I've only done mica-in-oil as a drizzle on top of the soap. Would love to hear whether anyone has tried it inside, and how it has turned out.

It will show up like a vein. I do it often. It will not break apart.
i have also used many plastic molds. If you have a hard time getting the soap to release, pop it in the freezer for a bit. It should pop right out after that.

This thread has tips and tricks on using plastic molds:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/milky-way-molds.62437/
I’ve used a plastic mold a couple of times now. The design includes an angel’s face with fairly fine details, so I oiled it very lightly with mineral oil in order to keep the soap from sticking. The recipe I used included goat milk and I wanted very white soap, so I put the mold in the refrigerator for 24 hrs to prevent gel. without checking notes, I probably let the soap sit for another couple of days before unmolding.

Last edited:
When I was a noob starting CP, I used the single cavity molds that I used for MP -- I do not recommend that.
I've used yogurt cups and cookie trays. I unmold my silicone loafs in 24 hours -- but I wait several days, sometimes a week to unmold from plastic. I first coat the plastic mold with vaseline. Prior to unmolding, I stick them in the freezer for 20 minutes. It also helps to stab a small hole in the bottom to help with the release.

Can a plastic mold me used for CP? Will the soap be released or will it stick to the mold?

I would recommend coating the mold with mineral oil or vaseline as others have suggested and not gelling your soap.

Also, if I poured shimmer glitter in oil throughout the soap batter, will it show up like a mica line or vein, or will it cause the soap to break apart at the lines?

When soap breaks apart as at a "mica line" it's generally because someone has used too much mica (or other powder) that the liquid (emulsified oils/water) can absorb...hence why folks often use a light oil or even glycerin. I've had good results with cocoa powder and mica, but I'm never used glitter so I'm not sure if you would get the effect that you are looking for. All you can do is make a small test batch and see how it turns out.

Back