Plastic Bundt cake pan for Cold Process Soap making

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by kimnkell, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Oct 21, 2012 #1

kimnkell

kimnkell

kimnkell

I have a question for all you great soap makers out there. I have been soaping for some time now but have a question about molds... Is there some trick to making the tupperware and plastic pans useable for Cold Process Soap so that the soap don't stick? These would be great for making bundt cake soap...

2. Oct 21, 2012 #2

Lottee

Lottee

Lottee

Hi, i am not an experienced soap maker, only started last week! But i made 3 loaves, all in plastic 'tupperware' type containers. The recipe said to lightly oil then first, which i forgot to do. But the soaps came out pretty easily, just turned them upside down and bashed a bit!

3. Oct 21, 2012 #3

Hazel

Hazel

Hazel

Lifetime Supporter

You could try swabbing the molds with mineral oil or dimethicone. I really recommend this since a bundt pan is so deep; otherwise, you might have difficulty getting it out as compared to a shallower pan. If you'd rather not do this, there are silicone bundt cake pans you can buy.

Some people have put the soap into the freezer for awhile (maybe 20-30 minutes), take it out and bang it on a counter to remove the soap. I've tried this and it's worked for shallower molds. The deep cavity molds didn't come out as well. Bits of soap remained adhered into the details of the cavities.

4. Oct 21, 2012 #4

kimnkell

kimnkell

kimnkell

I may have to give it a try... I want to try the tupperware style molds as you can buy them at the goodwill really cheap. Thanks for the info.

5. Oct 21, 2012 #5

judymoody

judymoody

judymoody

Mineral oil does not saponify. I'd coat your mold lightly with it and give it a try!

6. Oct 21, 2012 #6

Martin

Martin

Martin

I was able to purchase the small silicone bunt cake pans at my local family dollar. I got 15 of them and they are a big hit at Christmas time.

7. Oct 22, 2012 #7

new12soap

new12soap

new12soap

Judy beat me to it, a light coat of mineral should do the trick. If you want to spend the money a silicone spray is great. Failing all that, put the soap in the freezer for a while, then invert it and run a bit of warm water over the mold. Keep your hand underneath because the soap will fall right out.

8. Oct 22, 2012 #8

kimnkell

kimnkell

kimnkell

Thanks! Can't wait to go back to the goodwill now... gonna give this a try. :D

9. Oct 22, 2012 #9

Lindy

Lindy

Lindy

Soap Diva Queen Lifetime Supporter

Another vote for mineral oil, it's what I use....