Planning a fat free milk powder soap, any advice?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vgurer

Reaction score
I am planning to experiment a milk and honey soap with oat flour. (%55 or 60 olive oil, some castor oil, and some hard oils, coconut, cacao, shea may be) After reading what may happen with the milk. I asked myself a question: what is milk? some particles, fat and water. Since, evaporated zero fat milk powder exists, I decided to use this powder. I will calculate the necessary water amount for reconstituting the milk, I will use this water amount for the 1:1.41 lye solution, I will dissolve some honey to the lye solution beforehand. keep every thing around 40 degree celsius. I will try to dissolve the milk particles in the oils, the oat flour may help with this. (I might be obliged to use some of the water, I don't know, we'll see) for the fragrance, I am thinking simple vanilla scent with a dash of cinnamon FO. After pouring it in the mold, I am planning to put it in the fridge for 24 hours.
I wanted to ask you, if you did a similar soap before? What do you say? might it work out? will it last for few months without getting dangerous?

Last edited:
Mix your lye 1:1 in water. Use the rest of the required water to mix your milk powder. It will not dissolve in oil well. Then add the milk mixture to your melted oils/butters and mix well. Mix your homey with a bit of the water (warm) and add that to your oils as well. Then add your lye mixture. I use powdered milk frequently. I don’t refrigerate them though. Not sire what you’re using the pat flower for. But add that to your oils or milk mixture first.

I have never used a fat free milk. The extra bit of fat you get in milk (and it is not a lot) is not going to wreck your soap or increase it's superfat drastically. Using a powdered milk can be a whole other animal- I'd follow Shunt's advice and add some water to the milk and dissolving the honey in some water. Your plan might move faster than you're thinking so I'd also suggest soaping as cool as you can.

Thanks for all the input by fellow friends, Here is the brief resumé of what I did:
First I skipped the oat flour usage. too complicated.
I wrapped the insides of the mold with beeswax foundation, put it in the fridge for 1 hour,
I put a tbsp of honey in a jar and put it on top of low heat,
then melted the oils, added all the milk powder, (I was thinking that milk powder is %13 of the liquid so I put 37 gr powder for 227gr of water) dissolved it,
the lye readied,
when all 47degree celsius,
I poured in the lye, whisking manually.
The color was fantastic.
separated like 1/4 of the non traced mix in the honey jar,
added most of the fragrance in the milk only part, and some little at the honeyed part,
stick blend it, traced fast,
I took the mold from the fridge, poured the milky layer.
meanwhile, the honeyed part, becoming brownish, almost all saponified,
I poured it and spread it on top of it with a spoon, pushed from center to the sides (thinking that fridge curing will have more area to prevent gelling. It was getting hot already.

I put the mold back at the fridge. Keep it there for all night, (except for a control moment, I had a phone call so the mold sat for 20 min or so and it was getting hotter and hotter when I pushed it back at the fridge)
Operation the morning.
(Beeswax foundation became brittle, I used hair blower to give some elasticity, then peel off the wax, it took a good half hour to get rid of the wax. I waited for few hours before the cut. )

In theory when cured, this will be my best batch so far. I loved the colors and the outer texture. I am attaching the photos for your review. The milky color stayed the same but the honeyed part was more darker when I poured, I think that the cold created some softness here) IMG_20200225_082302.jpg IMG_20200225_124923.jpg IMG_20200225_125009.jpg
My first impression was that the middle of the mold will have a tendency to gel. but no problem for me. next time I am planning to put the honeyed part in the middle like a big tear drop, so that even it gelled, that will create another effect, and keep the batch in the freezer for all night.
My formula was:
Olive Oil 350gr Coconut Oil, 150.gr Palm Oil 200.gr Castor Oil 60. Cocoa Butter 40.gr, NaOH 117.6 gr. Water 272gr
37 gr fat free milk powder, 1 tbsp honey, 0.5 gr silicon dioxide for the fragrance, 24 gr fragrance soft baby powder scent with some guavaya trace. No coloring.

Oat flour isn't really exfoliating but it does have a texture. I use about 1 tablespoon of oat flour per pound of oils in my OMH soap for that texture. I add it to the base oils before adding lye and stick blend long enough to get it dispersed evenly in the oils; then proceed with the lye as usual.

Using beeswax to line a mold is a fantastic idea though! This is the first time I've seen that.

You'll want to take your soap off of the unlined cookie sheet though. Either put it on a non-metallic surface, or line the sheet with parchment.

Back