Planing soap - what type is best?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
Well nothing is perfect that I know of but this is an interesting one. It's all acrylic including the cutting edge. It's not cheap and it planes off just a bit more than my old wooden one. However I like those side walls that serve as a guide to help square things off if necessary, and it cleans easily under warm water. Like new after every use.

http://www.soap-making-resource.com/soap-beveler.html

I have this, too. I bought it because IL mentioned in one of her posts that she had it, liked the way it took thin slices, and cleaning it was easy. It turned out to be a great investment. I don't plane and bevel all of my soaps, I prefer the rustic look. However, I like my "gifts" to be a bit polished looking. (My "give-aways" are rustic and very handmade looking.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same acrylic planer as topofmurrayhill and WalterG. I can't remember exactly when I bought it, but I've had it for at least 4 years now, and I really love it. I had a couple of concerns going into the purchase with the cutting surface being acrylic and all, but it has worked wonderfully for me. I don't use it on all my bars, however- just those that end up with a funky surface for whatever reason, such as my soaps made in my ED silicone mold that always end up with a pock-marked surface, for example.

Although the planer has 2 built-in beveling options, I use a Japanese Round Molding plane to bevel my soaps because I like the look of the fancy, contoured bevels it gives me much better. I bought it from LotionCrafters of all places several years ago when they were selling it as "The world's best soap planer". They no longer sell it, but as you can see from the link, you can buy it from Lee Valley Tools.

Whatever scraps I have leftover from planning/bevelling get smooshed up like clay and stuffed into one of my decorative MilkyWay molds to make a usable hand soap.

I really like having beveled edges. It makes the bar much more comfortable to twirl around in the hand when lathering it up.

IrishLass :)

Hi IrishLass! I was wondering if you use both planer measurements. I have seen some with 1/16" or some with 1/8" (I think those are the measurements of the blades), but not 2 blades like you one you've referenced. Thank you!

I'm looking to get a combo planer/beveler. I plan to mainly bevel but want the option to be able to plane if needed/wanted. Some good recommendations here.

Thanks!

Hi IrishLass! I was wondering if you use both planer measurements. I have seen some with 1/16" or some with 1/8" (I think those are the measurements of the blades), but not 2 blades like you one you've referenced. Thank you!

Hi Baylee- if you are referring to the 1/8" & 1/4" Japanese tool, it has only one single blade as shown below, but one half of the blade is contoured/shaped narrower (1/8") than the other half (1/4"). Same with the grooves going down the length of the wood as well- one side is narrower than the other. When I bevel, I mostly like to use the narrower 1/8" side. One of the cool things about this tool (among other things) is that the angle of the blade can be adjusted in order to make the cut of the bevel deeper or more shallow to your desire:

IMG_4352KaruriPlanerUnderside640.JPG

My SMR acrylic planer/beveler has only one cutting blade as well, as shown below, but it is flat (not contoured) and level all the way across so that it can also be used as a plane. The grooves for beveling that you see going down the length of either side of the planer/beveler leading up to the blade are shaped differently from each other. It might be hard to see, but one of the grooves is slightly wider than the other and deeper (1/8" deep). The narrower groove is 1/16" deep. I only use this tool for planing, since I like the contoured bevels that my Japanese tool makes. For what it's worth, the planer shaves off very little of my soap - only 1/32" (actually just slightly less than that) with each pass.

IMG_4515SMRPlanerBeveler640.JPG

HTH!
IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back