Planers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPowers

Reaction score
I'm guess that a sign of a bad (cheap) planer is that is leaves 'drag' marks. All of a sudden that's what my planer is doing. Anyone have an recommendations for a good planer that won't break the bank? TIA

It could just be that your blade is dull. I bought my planer from BeScented and I have very happy with it,

My first planer started doing that, but it was the wood, not the blade. Rather than trying to sand it smooth in the area that had apparently warped slightly (from washing with water, I suspect), I bought a new all acrylic planer. No blade to replace or adjust; nothing to warp. If it's the blade, you can probably replace the blade.

By break the bank, what's your desired cost range? I think I paid about $35 or $40 for my acrylic planer a few years back, but one of a similar size costs about $50 now, depending on where it can be found. The company I purchased mine from went out a business, or I'd give you a link. But it looks like the one in this link.

Mine is acrylic with a metal blade. I ended up purchasing the 'original' planer/beveler from Etry. It was $50 which is ok but over $20 for shipping - that always gets me! I've heard good things abt this one so hoping it will be ok. I looked at the acrylic one you posted - it's the same cost plus an add'l $30 for the beveler plus shipping. Time will tell.

Mine is acrylic with a metal blade. I ended up purchasing the 'original' planer/beveler from Etry. It was $50 which is ok but over $20 for shipping - that always gets me! I've heard good things abt this one so hoping it will be ok. I looked at the acrylic one you posted - it's the same cost plus an add'l $30 for the beveler plus shipping. Time will tell.
I do love my fancy beveler, but IMO you don't really need a beveler, as you can use the planer to bevel.

All you have to do is hold the bar of soap at an angle and slide it along the planer to bevel the edges. A gentle touch can create a minimal bevel, whereas a heavy hand can produce more of a bevel. With a little practice, it's fairly easy to find that sweet spot where you get just the right amount of bevel you prefer.

Yeah, shipping can really tip the scales when it comes to a purchase, right? That's why I do so much shopping around. I always did it with brick & morter stores, so why not with online stores? In fact, it's easier with online stores, because I don't have to use a lot of gasoline driving around hither and yon.

I'm in Canada and pre Covid could buy in U.S. and have sent to a U.S. address as I'm just across the river from Detroit. It's been a hardship with the border closed and every month they extend the closure by another month! :(

The Original Planer Beveler is the one I have and I love it! Takes off the tiniest sliver. I did notice they increased the price by $10 since I bought mine only 6 months ago. 😬

I posted in a couple of FB groups and find that someone in my own town actually make them! I don't know yet the type or cost. I've asked the people at the 'original' planer site if they will hold off til I get more info. Hopefully they understand. I'm always a little too impatient and too often jump the gun!

Back