Planer and Beveler - updated recommendations?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m moving towards buying a planer and a beveler.

I found recommendations in an older thread and also had some recent advice about looking for a planer that shaves off the thinnest of layers. My research so far is summarized below, but I’m sure there are other options out there that I don’t know about. Please point me in the right directions. I don’t want to hand bevel and I do want to stick with acrylic. Thanks!

For a beveler, I’m looking at this:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/251970...-beveler-no-more?ref=shop_home_active_4&frs=1

Which offers two beveling depths (1/16th OR 1/8th inch). The downside I can see is that the soap has to be held at an angle and moved along in the groove. I imagine it could go a little wonky if the soap edge is uneven to start with, or if I’m not paying enough attention :)

Or this:
http://forcraftssake.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18_24&products_id=38
It looks like this one makes a bevel that is 1/16th TO 1/8th. The soap slides along the angled side of the planer, which is a nice feature. Less opportunity for wonkiness, I would think, and it looks rugged, but I wonder what factors affect the final depth of the bevel.

For a planer, I’m looking at this:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/247627248/blade-less-acrylic-soap-planer-no-more?ref=related-1&frs=1

The shavings coming off in the video are super thin.

And then there’s a combo beveler/planer, which might be the best choice overall:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/272556...ap-2-in-1-planer?ref=shop_home_active_7&frs=1
This one has a side piece that’s at a 45 deg angle to support the soap for beveling at 1/16th of an inch. So no 18th inch option with this one.

I have one that is combined--its got the two size slots for beveling but I only use the small one. and it only has one depth on the planer (I just go over twice if I need to) I haven't had it too long but really like it. mine has the blades and it came with 2 extras. sad thing is the shipping was the same as the product :(

Well shoot - I saw this a day too late. I have the acrylic combo - and it's gathering dust. I've never been able to get an even bevel or a nice flat plane without a divet with this thing! Am I too picky? I except the bevel to be the same width from beginning to end!

Well shoot - I saw this a day too late. I have the acrylic combo - and it's gathering dust. I've never been able to get an even bevel or a nice flat plane without a divet with this thing! Am I too picky? I except the bevel to be the same width from beginning to end!
If I am remembering correctly, the seller of the acrylic version recommends that the soap should be planed/beveled at about the 10 day to 2 week mark. It sounds like the soap needs to be firm but not super hard. I believe the seller of the wood/steel version made a similar remark in the video scard linked above. I can imagine that the optimal time to plane or bevel the soap would vary depending on recipe and how much water the soap has lost over the recommended waiting time period. Have you noticed any differences in the results based on these or other factors?

Last edited:
If I am remembering correctly, the seller of the acrylic version recommends that the soap should be planed/beveled at about the 10 day to 2 week mark. It sounds like the soap needs to be firm but not super hard. I believe the seller of the wood/steel version made a similar remark in the video scard linked above. I can imagine that the optimal time to plane or bevel the soap would vary depending on recipe and how much water the soap has lost over the recommended waiting time period. Have you noticed any differences in the results based on these or other factors?

I've done various ages, except for extremely cured soaps. Maybe I'm not patient enough to practice ….but after decimating the equivalent of 2.5 lbs of soap bars trying to gain some skill....I quit because it made no difference. My edges were still crooked, and the planer took off a shocking amount of soap! I couldn't bear wasting that much. (also, I was trying for perfection....like store bought type perfection; might have been better to think of it the process as improving wonky bars instead of trying to be perfect)

I've done various ages, except for extremely cured soaps. Maybe I'm not patient enough to practice ….but after decimating the equivalent of 2.5 lbs of soap bars trying to gain some skill....I quit because it made no difference. My edges were still crooked, and the planer took off a shocking amount of soap! I couldn't bear wasting that much. (also, I was trying for perfection....like store bought type perfection; might have been better to think of it the process as improving wonky bars instead of trying to be perfect)
Thanks for the follow up. My package is shipped so I will get to play around with it soon. I will let you know how it goes.

i have been doing mine at 6 weeks with next to no problems--I am very happy I got it. and a couple customers have commented on how nice the bevel is cuz it softens the edges

Here are my results using my new acrylic planer/beveler:

45F3ED0A-1ADB-41DE-A3DC-28D94F4C6045.jpeg
05DDFD31-EE63-49AA-A076-65ABF88C1CFA.jpeg

The soap with the sailboat is the older/drier of the two soaps (3 weeks vs. 2 weeks), but the lard rich recipe is the same. The pics are of the second tries for both soaps. Keeping even pressure on the soap is important for getting even planes and bevels. On my first tries, I didn’t keep enough pressure on the back ends of the soaps, which resulted in more soap being planed off the leading edge compared with the trailing edge. The same thing happened for the bevels. The bite is 1/16th inch, as seen most clearly for the bevel on the soap with the sailboat. It took more elbow grease (force) to push the soap through the planer than I was expecting. I’m going to wait a week and then trim another set to see if that changes.

Here are two more soaps for comparison. Both are 4 weeks old. Both have OO, avocado and shea. I double beveled the edges on the yellow bar by running it through twice. The pink and black bar is single beveled and the front is planed. Compared with the bars above, it was easier to plane the pink and black bar, but given that it’s smaller and a different recipe, I can’t draw any conclusion about how the age affects planing and beveling. More trials to come!

414DBFB2-D137-40AB-87BE-AEEF781DE00A.jpeg

ETA: the beveler also worked well for soaps I made back in May and June. The recipes had a high percentage of soft oils. I did not try to plane them. Photos to follow.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back