Planar/beveler

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmyW

Reaction score
Deciding what cutter to purchase was really easy thanks to this forum (I love my tank), but I've read so many opinions on different planars/bevelers I can't make up my mind. The bars I've used a veggie peeler on look terrible so I've got to purchase soon.

My main need is to have nicely rounded edges. The veggie peeler just creates another flat surface along the edges, while taking off too much soap, not at all what I want. Secondary is a planar that can smooth the top side of the bars to match the rest of the sides. Willing to buy two contraptions to make this work.

So who has the best (in your opinions) of both?

I use the same tool that Carebear does. I don't like my planer for the corners. Seemed like it took too much of the edges off. Love this cornering tool though - nice consistent edges.

Thank you guys! I was just looking, again, at this wood cornering tool that's mentioned here and thinking that should work better than the one from Lotion Crafters or FCS that's also mentioned a lot... good to know you all read my mind (or I read yours?)... luckily I need to go to Edmonton soon and there's a Lee Valley there so I can pick one up!

AmyW said:
Thank you guys! I was just looking, again, at this wood cornering tool that's mentioned here and thinking that should work better than the one from Lotion Crafters or FCS that's also mentioned a lot... good to know you all read my mind (or I read yours?)... luckily I need to go to Edmonton soon and there's a Lee Valley there so I can pick one up!

Those look like they'd be handy.

I have the same problem, I would like smooth corners and my carrot peeler makes another edge. It seems the wood working tool is popular. Available at Ace hardware and places like that maybe?

I love my LotionCrafters beveler. I also have the acrylic beveler/planer from SoapMakingResource, but I like the LotionCrafter's one the best for beveling. It makes more rounded bevels, which I like, and it's craftsmanship is outstanding- worth every penny. It has two different blades on it- one for wider bevels and one for narrower bevels, and it's completely adjustable so you can make the bevels deeper or shallower. I use the other one for planing only and it works very well for that.

IrishLass :)

Oh I LIKE. The hand tool is hard to use without getting a scratch along the edge.

Still, though, I mostly use the back of my thumbnail to dull the corners and leave it at that.

I have been thinking about getting one too, the lotion crafter's looks good. That tax return is getting more and more spent. I am trying to decide if I an afford a hobby tank!

Get busy carebear! :p I am usually an April 15th filer, but am actually getting a decent rebate this year. It is going to pay for my tattoo so that lit a fire under my "fanny" to get them done. Now I am just waiting for the refund...

IrishLass said:
I also have the acrylic beveler/planer from SoapMakingResource
IrishLass :)

Same here... it's perfect for planing, but I went back to my woodcarving tool (as mentioned above) for beveling the sides after a few batches..

I use the one my hub made me quite a few years ago. The bevels are deep, but if I wanted I could adjust them. But I like deep bevels, and also, I save the scraps and then make confetti soap - like I literally just got done doing about 15 minutes ago. :)

Back