Placing (cutting) embeds on front of cut cp soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi
I made some gingerbread people a month or so ago about 3" tall. I love the smell. Now I'm thinking about how to use them. Was thinking of pushing them into the top of a new bar so they look like they are drowning in soap (not really the look I want, however). Other than that I wondered about cutting them into the front face of freshly sliced soap (gingerbread latte maybe) so they sit flat with the new soap or poke out a bit. Earlene mentioned using a soap 'paste' in a rimmed soap post but I can only find that in liquid soap posts.

Even if I can paste it in should I do it or will the soaps then cure differently and probably pop out the embed later anyway?

I'm sure there are ways to do it, and people more experienced than me should come along soon to help

But you could also use a slab mould to push them into the front of the bars

Hi, Jeboz. They should be fine pushed into the surface of a new soap batter in the the mold. You won't have to brush any soap paste on them.

When referring to soap 'paste', I was not really meaning Liquid Soap paste, which I can see would be the first result in a search. In the soap dough technique I mentioned, this is how soap paste or soap glue is generally created: CP soap mixed with a enough water to make a paintable paste or glue.

See this video (fast forward to 6:39):

Notice how Vicki paints the glue (or paste) onto the surface of the soap.

Hi, Jeboz. They should be fine pushed into the surface of a new soap batter in the the mold. You won't have to brush any soap paste on them.

When referring to soap 'paste', I was not really meaning Liquid Soap paste, which I can see would be the first result in a search. In the soap dough technique I mentioned, this is how soap paste or soap glue is generally created: CP soap mixed with a enough water to make a paintable paste or glue.

I watched the whole video because I was pure mesmerized! Can’t imagine how long it took to make a whole batch of those soaps.

Hi
I made some gingerbread people a month or so ago about 3" tall. I love the smell. Now I'm thinking about how to use them. Was thinking of pushing them into the top of a new bar so they look like they are drowning in soap (not really the look I want, however). Other than that I wondered about cutting them into the front face of freshly sliced soap (gingerbread latte maybe) so they sit flat with the new soap or poke out a bit. Earlene mentioned using a soap 'paste' in a rimmed soap post but I can only find that in liquid soap posts.

Even if I can paste it in should I do it or will the soaps then cure differently and probably pop out the embed later anyway?
I'd love to see how that turns out!

Jeboz, as Primrose said a slab mold would be good because your embeds don't have to be hidden inside the soap. Or you can use a log/loaf mold as a slab mold and cut the soap as if you are cutting a slab mold. That way you'd still have your embeds at the top of the soap.

Here's how I use a loaf mold as a slab mold: Pour the batter to the depth I want the soap to be thick (for average rectangular size bar that's about 1 - 1.5 inches). When it's time to cut, cut the bars as if it is a slab mold.

See this video (start at 6:05):

Thank you very much Earlene - that was a wonderful video and soap.
I think I will cut around and embed a little using the 'glue' and see how we go. I was planning on doing it on the diagonal with some of it showing above the base soap line.

I'd love to see how that turns out!

Me too :D. I'll see how I go.

YOu can adhere them with a little bit of clear M&P. I've done this and it works fine.

I did think of this but thought I'd see if there were other options especially as I want some of him to 'hang' out of the soap. I did cut each man down the middle to make two of each so they aren't hugely thick so melt and our would probably work fine. Maybe I'll try both methods and see!
Hopefully I'll do it next weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my gingerbread latte as promised. There's a bit of sweating on top on the 'boys' due to rain over the past couple of days. I cut them into the base a little (which sounds easy but involved fiddling quite a bit). I made some gluey soap and sprayed both pieces with alcohol (not sure why but I did it anyway).
Each piece will break toes if dropped on them in the shower as I'm still in my learning curve with moulds for soapmaking and not wanting to make batches too big, in case I waste the oils etc.
Here goes ................... ginger.jpg ginger2.jpg
I'm happy with how they look and now we'll see if the 'boys' pop out as the base soap cures. :D

Here is my gingerbread latte as promised. There's a bit of sweating on top on the 'boys' due to rain over the past couple of days. I cut them into the base a little (which sounds easy but involved fiddling quite a bit). I made some gluey soap and sprayed both pieces with alcohol (not sure why but I did it anyway).
Each piece will break toes if dropped on them in the shower as I'm still in my learning curve with moulds for soapmaking and not wanting to make batches too big, in case I waste the oils etc.
Here goes ...................View attachment 39970 View attachment 39971
I'm happy with how they look and now we'll see if the 'boys' pop out as the base soap cures. :D
They look great! What a lot of work you put into them, but obviously your efforts have paid off.

Here goes ...................View attachment 39970 View attachment 39971
I love them! What a great idea!

Thank you all - I am happy with them and they are very big so probably a man present rather than child. Look out nephews. They do smell good.............
I've been making molds using corflute (plastic sign board from elections etc) and haven't yet worked out the right dimensions for me. I cut them a bit thick for the width as well using my great green wire cutter thingy from the Japanese website (Rakuten?).

Back