placemat to line wood mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruthie

Reaction score
Any tutorials or suggestions for making a lining for a wooden mold from a placemat? I know I've read posts about doing that, but can't find them now. I'm guessing since they do not fold easily I'll have to cut each section and use duct tape to hold the pieces together.

Thanks!

I just cut the pieces to fit the mold and fit them into the mold as loose pieces. A few dabs of petroleum jelly will hold the side parts in place if you want a little more security. I found that cutting the pieces with an easy fit is best so they can lay nice and flat.

I thought about just putting in the pieces, but was concerned it might leak. Thanks for the help! The petroleum jelly sounds like a good idea!

These ones from IKEA are supposed to work really well. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1401750211.329542.jpg

I just make line mine with freezer paper. I made myself a pattern out of stiff cardboard. I found it was so easy to make I can make my mold in under five minutes. It folds up so nice I can usually even use the end pieces of soap.

Someone posted something not long ago about crafters foam sheets that looked really good. All they did was make a few cuts and folded it right in. Can't remember what the name of the foam was though but when I looked at it at hobby lobby it was like 40 cents a sheet.

Ruthie, I agree my lining method could leak if you pour when the batter is really liquid. I don't usually get that lucky :p so I've had few if any troubles like that. I use cutting sheets similar to what Sprag suggested -- the sheets I used were more like translucent, thick milk carton plastic.

I made one for my mold. I just cut out 5 pieces, bottom and sides. Before using them, I tape them together with scotch tape, then to remove the soap, I pull off or cut the tape at the corners. I also took a long piece and bent it to fit across the short side of the mold, so it hangs over the edges, I put that in before the liner, so to get the soap out, I pull the ends of the long piece and lift the whole thing out.

Someone posted something not long ago about crafters foam sheets that looked really good. All they did was make a few cuts and folded it right in. Can't remember what the name of the foam was though but when I looked at it at hobby lobby it was like 40 cents a sheet.

It's funky foam, it works really great. I've used the same piece about 6 times now and still good.

Latest posts

Back