PKO and Palm oil confusion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godschild

Reaction score
So I'm confused as to whether I should use my newly acquired pko and palm oil in recipes together or do I have to choose one or the other when adding them to my hp recipes made with lard, coconut oil, and pomace. I am trying to find a recipe using all of these ingredients but can't find one. I'm sad and want to start soaping tonight but can't till I find a tested recipe that someone knows works well. I want to make batch that is conditioning for folks with dry skin and a batch that is for folks with oily acne prone skin. I would like to have a recipe that would be for everyone that doesn't need a specialized bar. Searching for recipes to use as a base batch really sucks right now because I am feeling horrible from swollen eyes/head allergy symptoms :( If you wouldn't mind sharing yours with me, I would be forever appreciative. I just want to cry right now but I don't cry if I can help it :) I know I ask a lot of yall on here. I'm sorry for that. Yall are the best forum members to be learning from that I could ever ask for. I made another post earlier so I will be trying to delete it. If we can't delete them on our own and need a moderator to do it, would one of you please do it for me. Thank yall and I wish everyone a Blessed night. If you pray, please pray for me. I think I'm coming down with an ear infection because my ear is hurting. Will be going to see my dr tomorrow asap.

PKO and Palm Oil, though from the same plant are two different parts of the plant and have different SAP values. PKO has .176 SAP and palm is .142. They also add different attributes to the soap. PKO is more for cleansing and bubbles, and palms is for hardness and a creamy, stable lather. I'd say if there is something to decide to choose from I would choose between either the PKO or coconut oil. They both add the same qualities and if you are going for a conditioning soap then you don't want both at a high amount since they contribute to the cleansing ability of the soap. I use mainly PKO and keep it 20-21% which gives me a 14-15 on my cleansing number.

And to be honest, most people that have a tried and true recipe are not going to give it up that easily because they have spent so much time themselves working on it. And, wouldn't it be better to soap when you don't have swollen eyes/allergies acting up so you can concentrate? Just my $.02

I have lifelong allergy issues so after my chlortrimeton kicks in, I will be fine. My ear no longer hurts so it was my allergies making it feel bad. I am thankful for your concern though. I'm used to it. I wouldn't know what to do if I had a day without allergy issues. As far as asking for a recipe, I was just asking. Nobody has to help me if they don't want to. If someone asks for a recipe of my own that I've made so far or in the future, I won't hesitate to give it to someone if they humbled themselves enough to ask. I've made great bars so far but just none using the pko, palm oil, and pomace so I was just wondering how much percentage of these I should use with my lard and coconut oil so I could help my nephew who has acne and my sister who has dry skin. They were wanting me to make them some. But thanks for your $.02 anyway. If anyone wants any of my recipes that I made up on my own using soapcalc, just pm me and I will freely give them to you. I was just asking but I don't like being made to feel hated upon and I've already heard the "just diy because nobody will give up their recipes" bit. No harm was done in asking. You didn't have to reply if you didn't want to.

My Soap.jpg

Last edited:
All have been nice bars that I made up the recipe for on my own. May not be perfect but they came out of the mold hard already, lather nicely, don't dry a person out, are conditioning, and I like them.

PKO and coconut are similar. PKO and/or coconut make soap that has big fluffy bubbles, a hard bar, fast abundant lather, and more cleansing. A lot of PKO/coconut can make a cleansing, very lathery soap that strips too much oil off the skin.

Lard and palm are similar. Lard and/or palm make soap that has a stable lather, creamy suds, a hard bar, a longer lasting bar, and less cleansing. A lot of lard/palm can make a mild, long-lasting soap that makes a low to moderate amount of lather.

Pomace olive oil adds mildness, gentle cleansing, and low creamy suds.

Pick one from the first group, one from the second, add some pomace and you'll have a nice soap. Always be sure to run every recipe through a trusted soap calculator. Many people use http://www.soapcalc.net/calc/SoapCalcWP.asp but there are other good calculators out there.

Recipe ideas:
http://www.millersoap.com/castile.html
http://www.millersoap.com/soapallveg.html
http://www.millersoap.com/soapanimal.html

DeeAnna beat me to it! There's not much that I would add except that I made a recipe suggestion in your other thread if you want to go back there and have a look. The recipes on Kathy Miller's site are good too.

As DeeAnna suggested, there is not much sense in using both coconut oil and PKO as they are very similar. Ditto for lard and palm. Or olive oil and rice bran, for that matter. Doubling up just means more measuring.

I made another post earlier so I will be trying to delete it. If we can't delete them on our own and need a moderator to do it, would one of you please do it for me.

What post is it that you want deleted, you didn't say. Copy and paste it so I know. You have to pm a Mod, not wait for one of us to hopefully find in your post that you want it deleted.

Howdy again. I am attaching the recipe I came up with. I used a combo of the oils I have. I will be using this as my base recipe until I run out of lard and start making all veg soap if yall think it has decent numbers. It will be a lot of measuring though so I agree with keeping it simple for less measuring. Thanks for thinking of that ;) I just have a lot of lard to use up and I don't want to use it up in my cooking because I'm chunky enough already. I was wondering about the lack of my digi scale not weighing to far enough dec points as called for in recipes. Example: 40.877 oz. Would it be ok to round everything off because my scale would measure it like 40.90 if I'm lucky. It wants to measure everything by .5s so it wouldn't do 40.877. It would measure it 40.9 or 41 if it wouldn't meas at least to 40.9. I am looking into buying a better scale but I can't till bills are paid this month. I don't want to mess my recipe up by rounding everything and throwing it off too far. I measured my mold and it will hold 90.8375 tot oil ozs. I guess I should've calc'ed my recipe at just 90 ozs instead but I like the nice tall bar this mold makes when full. :) I love my big crock because it does this amount easily and cooks it well. I do have to make new molds that are just 2 inches shorter because my honey made these molds a bit too long and they have to fit caddy corner in my oven. Can only put one mold in at a time and I want to be able to fit 3 or 4 in at a time. Signed: Mrs. Buggy Buggin Yall All The Time :wave:

Latest posts

Back