Piped topping going rancid

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yalikids

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out a problem and was wondering if anyone can help me with this. I have been piping a topping on my cp soaps, but 5 out of 7 batches have gone rancid. The topping smells off yet the base soap is fine. Using the same oils that are in the base, so why does the top go off and not the bottom? Does it have to do with waiting for the soap to get thick enough to pipe?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

I have to agree with Arimara. Make sure they are stainless steel. I pipe cupcakes and have never had any go rancid. I use Wilton tips as I had a stash of them from when I decorated cakes years ago.

I don't make soap cupcakes, but some other ideas came to mind. You didn't share your recipe, but if you are using a high % of polyunsaturated fats, they tend to oxidize and become rancid more easily. Are you whipping air into the soap? That may accelerate the oxidation of the fats and fatty acids, especially polyunsaturated ones. The % of superfat you're using might also have some effect.

The tips are stainless steel. I bought the recipe, so didn't put it down. Recipe calls for canola oil so I switched it out to almond oil thinking the canola might be to high oleic. I'm stick blending to emulsion and then let it sit, only using a spatula to stir every 5 minutes until thick after the sb. I tried using a part of my base batch for topping, but if I add the titanium dioxide before I let it thicken, by the time I have poured and swirled the base the topping is too thick to pipe. Oils are all good and making sure distilled water is new.

Could it have something to do with how I am letting it sit for 24 hours to reach gel stage? I put together some boxes to cover it with but it is not insulated well. Just thinking the topping is sticking up, not covered with plastic wrap.

Using OO, coconut oil, palm oil, sweet almond oil and castor oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
How you're doing it ahs nothing to do with them going rancid. I don't gel my cupcake soaps at all and just put a box over the top of them for 24 hours or so an have never gotten DOS. My cupcake recipe is similar to yours as far as oils.

How old are your soaps? How are you storing them?

The tops do not get DOS but do smell off at about 3 weeks. I put them in plastic open weave baskets that I slide into open shelves.

Latest posts

Back