Pink

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilovesoap

Reaction score
I typically use oxides but am looking for a way to get a nice vivid pink to pale pink swirl. So for all you colorant experts, what do you recommend? TIA

What kind of red colorant. I find that red oxide gives me too orangey of a color..... so I am looking for a truer pink.

I use a pink clay for a soft pink, but I must admit it looks a little peachy to me. Nice though. It dissolves best in oil, so I mix a TBSP of it into my melted oils, then stir it into the pot.

Woodi said:
I use a pink clay for a soft pink, but I must admit it looks a little peachy to me. Nice though. It dissolves best in oil, so I mix a TBSP of it into my melted oils, then stir it into the pot.

I love pink kaolin clay, but your right, it always looks a little peachy to me. I use the white clay and add the ultramarines.

Does the white clay help if there is any tint in the base from eo's such as a yellow tint. I want to use this pink in a base that turns slightly yellow from a blend that contains a bit of lemon eo. I am afraid if I don't get a little of the yellow out I will have a wonky pink. I think I might go the ultramarine pink route. Do ultramarines work pretty much like oxides? (as far as mixing into the soap base - i usually mix my oxides with some water or almond oil then add some of the soap base to that)

Ilovesoap said:
What kind of red colorant. I find that red oxide gives me too orangey of a color..... so I am looking for a truer pink.

From natures garden candles i love the colors!

Ilovesoap said:
Does the white clay help if there is any tint in the base from eo's such as a yellow tint. I want to use this pink in a base that turns slightly yellow from a blend that contains a bit of lemon eo. I am afraid if I don't get a little of the yellow out I will have a wonky pink. I think I might go the ultramarine pink route. Do ultramarines work pretty much like oxides? (as far as mixing into the soap base - i usually mix my oxides with some water or almond oil then add some of the soap base to that)

White kaolin clay won't stop all the color of the oil, but it will help. I add the clay to the lye water and let it sit for a few minutes. If it doesn't completely dissolve I pour it through a coffee filter. Works great. Same for the ultramarines. If I'm tinting a whole batch I add the oxides to the water directly, otherwise just mix it with a little fractionated coconut oil and add to the oil/lye mix.

*Ikea makes a great little tool for mixing colors. It's by the coffee presses, it's called a milk frother. Takes 2 AA batteries and it wisks small amounts of oil and mineral with zero clumps. Makes adding the slurry to the oil super easy.

I just ordered the neon pink from TKB. I have heard good things about it.

Digit

Latest posts

Back