Pink Himalayan Salt Soap Bars - Weird White Spots

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GGWP

Reaction score
Hi all,

I attempted making soap with pink (himalayan) salt for the first time. I didn't end up adding too much, in order to not make it super scratchy. I cut them while the loaf was still soft, so no issues with crumbling so far, but I noticed some weird white spotting on the bars. It does look like the salt dissolved or something, but I was wondering if it could be something bigger than that. Attached photos.

I used 45g of fine pink salt for 800g total oil weight, superfatting at 12% and 33% lye concentration. Coconut oil is at 40% in a combination with olive, sunflower, castor, avocado, tallow and shea butter (had to finish up some oils and butters therefore the oil diversity).

IMG_20220204_160234.jpg

IMG_20220204_160223.jpg

Looks like undissolved salt to me. Did you use a fine grind? If not, those salt bits in the soap will be very, very sharp on the skin.

Yes, I used fine grind, just put some larger pieces on top as a decoration. Is the undissolved salt going to be sharp on the skin even if it's been ground finely?

Yes, I used fine grind, just put some larger pieces on top as a decoration. Is the undissolved salt going to be sharp on the skin even if it's been ground finely?

Most likey yes, pink salt is scratchy due to the nonsoluable minerals in it. Watch the large pieces on top too, I sliced my chest open once with it.
Imo, himalayan salt has no business in soap. Its pretty but not safe.

Ah, sad to hear! Thanks for the advice - will not do the same mistake again. It's a shame really because pink salt does look amazing on soap, but oh well.. :(

Latest posts

Back