Pine tar soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrubbie

Reaction score
I was researching Pine Tar soap. Which is the right pine tar to get for humans and where is the place to get it. I am thinking making a small batch might be a good idea.
Anyone?

I've been debating on making a pine tar soap. It's supposed to be awesome for skin issues (in nursing school, we often talk of coal tar for the same problems, so I'm assuming that though pine tar is somewhat different, hopefully the benefits remain the same). I've been adding a lof of things to my line of soaps, and just not sure if I want to add yet another soap type. I can't afford all of the different fragrances for candles, five different kinds of soaps, lotions, lotion bars, etc. Not to mention the space it takes. Each new kind of soap I add (and even more and more fragrances!) I need so much more space for curing and finished products, plus the fact that I have to transport everything for the various shows. :/ I guess it would take awhile to get it to market, but still... I still have to test, then buy the fragrances, etc, etc. I've already invested about $400 this spring for soaping!

Here's the recipe I use. It makes 10 lbs of soap. You can cut it down, but run your numbers through soapcalc to confirm.

32.4 oz Lard (33% hard oil)
43.1 oz Olive Oil
10.8 oz. Coconut oil (76 degree) (12% hard oil)
10 oz. pine tar (11%) (Sap value of .043)

Melt base oils and pine tar. Do not add any fragrance until later.

for an 8% superfat, I use 10.9 oz of lye
29.43 oz of water

Soap cold (lye solution at 56-65 degrees)
oil temp 65-75 degrees
Add any fragrace. (Lavender essential oil is highly suggested in the recipe I've got. It doesn't cause any acceleration of trace.)

Have molds ready. Mix lye water into oils. If using a stick blender, you may come to a false trace (which has happened to me). Keep mixing. Quickly poor into mold.

I'm sure others out there have their own renditions, some may be better. This gives you something to start with.

Warning Pine tar smells BAD. The last batch just about ran us out of the house. I had to cure it i the garage. Fortuneatly the smell fades with cure and does not linger on the skin after washing. Pine tar soap is also great for cutting grease on hands and clothes.

Mike

I believe the odor is one of the reasons they recommend Lavendin or Lavender for the fragrance.

thanks for posting the recipe, JackiK. I've been wanting to try a small loaf and have been looking for some direction!

Back