Pine tar soap recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrayGrants

Reaction score
Okay so before I get jumped on for not researching the subject and doing my due diligence, let me lay out what I have learned about the subject of making CP soap with pine tar.

Pine tar is generally added to a soap recipe around 10 to 20% and it affects the amount of lye needed so it isn’t just an additive. It can drastically increase trace so hand mixing is recommended. It creates a nice lather but a soft and short lived bar.

So with this information at my disposal I was thinking of tacking it onto a recipe with high hardness and longevity.

I would love to hear how you all work with pine tar and what recipes you use. Especially if you have a vegan recipe. Any thoughts or recipes whether vegan or not, I’d love to hear any and all. Thanks!!!

I make a bar with high lard and 10% pine tar. Lard slows trace so this recipe wasn't too bad to work with but it still needed to be hand stirred.
I like to mix my pt with some of the liquid oil in the recipe to thin it out and make it easier to work with.
I mix my lye and all oils besides the pt to emulsion with a stick blender then mix in the pt by hand. If adding scent, add it to the batch oils so its mixed well before asding the pt.

It's a fairly physically hard bar but the longevity is lessened some. Its just the nature of pine tar soap.

This is my recipe. You could replace the lard with palm oil or soy flakes.
Palm would likely increase trace. I've not used soy flakes enough to know how it might act.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220511-194204_Evernote.jpg
    Screenshot_20220511-194204_Evernote.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 5
@Keeza#Aus - Excellent video! Entertaining, informative and SO well done! The best You Tube soapmaing video I've ever seen! Not only is the demo well done, with recipe and notes written on screen, but the notes on the side are exceptionally useful as well.

NOTE: The pine tar I use is not as pourable as the Stockholm Tar. I warm it up on a hot plate before adding to the batch.

Thank you so much for sharing!
Thanks.gif

Last edited:
Wow I can’t believe how helpful people are here in these forums. Thank you all so much!!!

I know PT has a strong smokey scent so now I just need to think of a fragrance to compliment it, any suggestions?

I have used this recipe without any problems at all. It's a lovely recipe.

Elly's Everyday Soap Making

Hope this helps..

I like that video, too. Mixing the pine tar with the oils before adding the lye solution removes all the stress, and allows for an easy hand-stir light trace, and then a nice fluid pour. So simple!

Last edited:
What brand of pine tar do you all like best? I cannot seem to find Stockholm tar. I see one recommended by thenerdyfarmwife but it's pricey.

Back