pine tar soap problem.please help !

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyprince

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Today I made a batch of pine tar soap.Unfortunately everything went wrong.Let me give you the details&recipe first then tell you about the problem.
The recipe is:
50% Olive Oil
20%Pine Tar
20%Goat Tallow
10%Coconut Oil
Total: 52.911 Ounces (1500 Grams)
Water: 20.1 Ounces (570 grams)
Lye: 6.132 ounces (173 grams)
I firstly put all the ingredients (pine tar,tallow,coconut oil,olive oil) in the cooker and began to heat.After some time I noticed that the pine tar down on the surface of the cooker became wax-like.It turned out to be waxy.I could not understand why it happened.I took out those waxy bits ,they weighed around 30-40 grams maximum.After the trace I poured the soap in molds but then I saw that on the surface there is liquid.Also the tar is not uniform.It became like someone put coffe powder in the soap.What should I do now?What did I do wrong?Perhaps the quality of the pine tar was no good.Or perhaps I should not have put the pine tar on the heat.Should I have added it in the trace?Any help will be appreciated.I took photos too.
http://postimage.org/image/2ln743ick/fa9a6751/
http://postimage.org/image/2lnc2pjtw/9fa0ee48/

Thanks in advance.

odd
I make a pine tar, but never seen this.
I dont use any form of tallow though, so not sure if that would affect it.
Is the pine tar cut with anything, or 100%?

yes,that's another point.Perhaps it is not pure:( Farmers here sometimes mix other things with it to make more money.Perhaps that's the cause.Thanks a lot for your reply.

happyprince said:
yes,that's another point.Perhaps it is not pure:( Farmers here sometimes mix other things with it to make more money.Perhaps that's the cause.Thanks a lot for your reply.

I had that problem ,, then I found Lincoln stockholm pine tar,, 100% pure and works well.

I use horse health in white can with a big gold horse shoe on it.
From local feed store.
works great.

I make pine tar soap but I never go over about 18% pine tar. What I use comes from TSC stores and is labled as 100% light pine tar. I do CP only and mix it with a paint stirring stick...it tends to trace fairly quickly but go ahead and beat the heck out of it. Use room temps on the oil and lye and full water acccording to the soap calculator. It should turn out fine..at least mine does that way.

I'd check the goat tallow was rendered properly and that the pine tar was pure. I have just made a pint tar soap and had no problems at all, and that was at 20% pine tar. It sets up super fast, other than that perfect.

I make a Pine Tar soap and I keep the pine tar quite low because a little goes a long, long ways. To me it looks like you used too much pine tar. I would recommend dropping it down to about 5%. The healing properties still come through at that level.....

I've never HP'd pine tar soap. All of you that make it do you do CP or HP?

I wonder if the heat does something to it? I don't know...

Just made my first pine tar soap (CP) with 15% tar, it was funny that everyone says it traces so quickly but mine took ages to trace, I did add some lavender EO to delay trace and it worked, did discount water as I normally do and mixed at low temps, did not insulate as I have read that nothing can stop gel on this soap but mine only did a partial gel. I have a question that is bothering me a bit, I bought Stockholm pine tar which I have been assured by the manufacturer that it is 100% pine tar with no additives, however the can says it is for veterinary purposes only and after e-mailing the suppliers they could not tell me whether their product could be use for soapmaking or in fact be used on humans, I am not sure now if this product is suitable for soap. Does anyone here know if I am using the right stuff? please help any suggestion is much appreciated :?

Latest posts

Back