Pine tar soap failure!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welsh black

Reaction score
Made pine tar soap. All going well. I added pine tar to oil before adding lye and only stirred it gently and was able to pour it into mould. Then - I put it into an oven 40c to gell (why I did that I don't know because I don't do that as a rule). What a mess ! Soap out of moulds like a volcano !! Had to spoon it all back in. Lesson learned.:mad::mad:

Oh no!!! sorry it happened. Can any of the soap be salvaged?

Trying to download photo. They don't look so good ! I'll use them myself!

image.jpg

It's too bad. sorry! Did u put it to gell in the oven because it was in individual molds? did u use this recype before? What recipe did u use?
I made a pine tar soap last week. Just let it gel in the mold, but it was kind of soft when I took it out. I superfatted it, and I think it's a mistake, as tar itself very greasy-oily. It's gonna take forever to cure now.

I don't know why I put it in the oven. I think I had a pine tar moment !!! I think if I had just left it in the mould it would have been fine. I think it's the type of soap that needs a quiet time !! Recipie was only 5% super fat usual mix castor cocoa palm olive coconut. Just didn't like heat !

Awww man! Sorry it didn't turn out like you wanted. You guys have me wanting to try pine tar now, but scared to try it at the same time.

Don't be scared! Just read carefully instructions. Trace cold, add lavander EO to prolong trace as otherwise it traces really quick. And do minimum superfat. I had 10% tar and 5% superfat and it was too fat!!! LOL

Sorry, I am going to jump in on this convo as I just ordered pine tar. I want to ad it to Genny's shampoo recipe to help with dandruff. When you add pine tar onto soap calc do you subtract from the other oils? IE, if I am adding 15% pine tar, do I need to subtract 15% of my other oils in the calculation? Or to I just soap the regular recipe and add pine tar on top of the recipe?

You know, I didn't , and that was my mistake. As soap calc will calculate tar for lye and water amount, but it doesn't recognize it as oil for oil amount. I just wander if it will keep saying that your oils not 100% if you substract it from oils. But I think it's a right way to do.

Yes, you do alter your oil amount to make room for your percentage of pine tar. At least that's what I do, and enter Pine Tar on Soap Calc. It's not considered an oil but will factor in in terms of amount you use!

I haven't had any problems making Pine Tar soap with just a regular blanket insulation. Try again! Pine Tar is so awesome!

I am going to try again. I love the black look! The smell is ok as I added lavender EO, can't wait to see a lovely shiny smooth bar !!

Yes, you do alter your oil amount to make room for your percentage of pine tar. At least that's what I do, and enter Pine Tar on Soap Calc. It's not considered an oil but will factor in in terms of amount you use!

I haven't had any problems making Pine Tar soap with just a regular blanket insulation. Try again! Pine Tar is so awesome!

So what's so wonderful about pine tar??

1 Avocado Oil 30
2 Castor Oil 10
3 Olive Oil 30
4 Pine Tar 20
5 Shea Butter 10
Totals 100

So is this what I would do for my shampoo bar?? I altered Genny's recipe (dropped the soybean out completely and lowered the olive oil to make room for the pine tar).

So what's so wonderful about pine tar??

Well it's said to be fantastic for eczema and psoriasis though I don't have those so I wouldn't know. I do know that it's so soft and smooth feeling, smells wonderful (probably not to everyone) and makes my skin feel nourished. Not drying in the least. I'm going to give it out to a few friends with skin conditions just to see if it actually helps them!

Made some last night using Soaping 101's recipe. No problems at all!!! I added the Pine Tar after emulsification like in the video, used a whisk to blend it in good and poured quickly before it started setting up to much. It gelled just setting on the my table uncovered, no problem. It' still in the mold right now and I can't wait to cut it. I added eucalyptus EO to mine.

Kelly

I'm adding this one to the list of soaps I want to try making. My oldest son has dry skin and this might be good for him.

Does the pine tar give the soap a scent?

Yes! The scent is super intense and more like tar/smoke than pine.
I personally like it but I don't know if it's a crowd pleaser!

It will also depend how much you use. 20% tar is supposed to be the best amount for making a difference for people with skin issues. I make it for myself at 10% cause the 20% drips brown and smells really really strong.
But for someone with skin issues, they probably wouldn't care as long as it worked!

I've been wanting to try this, but our local TSC has been out for a while. Oh well. I've got enough on my plate as it is!

Latest posts

Back