Pine tar soap 10%

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goji_fries

Reaction score
Finally made one. Very cool :thumbup:. I made it at 10% but it smells sort of weak. I like strong fragrances maybe it'll be different when it dries and I use it in the shower? And WOW does the mix thicken fast when you stir in the PT, like less than a minute.

• What is your best percentage of pine tar?
  • Have you ever used pine tar in an HP recipe? If so, was it a mess?
Lard 10%
Coco 20%
Olive 35%
Palm 25%
PT 10%

1tsp salt /sugar, ran out of Castor

{3lb test mold: scrap wood made }{ Orange silicone mold: W**mart, $1.98 @ the cake section, approx 5 oz.}

SAM_0709.JPG

Last edited:
I use it at 15% and I pour the PT into my liquid oils- castor and olive- and then mix it well so it's all blended. I melt my tallow, coconut and cocoa butter (for hardness to counter the PT) and add my lye water to the melted hard oils and SB to light trace. Then I add the soap batter to my liquid oil/PT mix and hand stir. It does go fast and you have to stir well to make sure its all mixed, but I've always been able to pour it into the mold and gotten a nice smooth top.

congrats goji, on your 1st pt batch!

i've made mine via cp only. i've also made a batch of pt ls a while ago.

soap cool (i even let the lye water went cold in the fridge). mix pt (10%) with oils (palm, coconut, olive) before lye, sb thoroughly, add cold lye water. mix with spatula, pour into mold. unmold within 12 hours and cut.

here are mine:

PT large.jpg

pt travel size.jpg

I don't HP
I know I made 20% before but my feeble mind is saying I've gone as high as 30% but I need to check out in my soaping room!:-?

I am going for a 20% tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone had gone higher and if it worked out. Let me know if you did a 30%. sounds reallllllllll good.

I use it at 15% and I pour the PT into my liquid oils- castor and olive- and then mix it well so it's all blended. I melt my tallow, coconut and cocoa butter (for hardness to counter the PT) and add my lye water to the melted hard oils and SB to light trace. Then I add the soap batter to my liquid oil/PT mix and hand stir. It does go fast and you have to stir well to make sure its all mixed, but I've always been able to pour it into the mold and gotten a nice smooth top.

@20% I am trying to configure a recipe to offset the softness. Maybe I'll lower the SF to 1-2 or so. Thank you for your pointers.

congrats goji, on your 1st pt batch!
i've made mine via cp only. i've also made a batch of pt ls a while ago.
soap cool (i even let the lye water went cold in the fridge). mix pt (10%) with oils (palm, coconut, olive) before lye, sb thoroughly, add cold lye water. mix with spatula, pour into mold. unmold within 12 hours and cut. here are mine:

That LS PT batch looked great! I am going to heed the mix PT in oils before the lye. This batch I mixed in by hand the Pt after the lye and oil trace. It gave me a minute and then I had to pour. Your PT soaps look great. Maybe my Pt will darken up after a good cure. Right now they are kinda light. :wave:

I so want to try this! I really want to make one at 20% -- I don't know why, I just do. :) Goji, what percentage would you have added the castor oil, and which other oil would you take it from?

I so want to try this! I really want to make one at 20% -- I don't know why, I just do. :) Goji, what percentage would you have added the castor oil, and which other oil would you take it from?

Would probably do Castor @ 5%, scraping away from the other oils, 1-2% off each.---{Basic 3 oil: Coco/Olive/Palm, 30/40/30}--- I heard Castor speeds up trace in this one on top of the lightning fast trace of PT blends. So keeping it low may be a good thing.

Would probably do Castor @ 5%, scraping away from the other oils, 1-2% off each.---{Basic 3 oil: Coco/Olive/Palm, 30/40/30}--- I heard Castor speeds up trace in this one on top of the lightning fast trace of PT blends. So keeping it low may be a good thing.

I was thinking to add 5% as well. With your 30/40/30 mix, when adding the pine tar to your recipe, would you equally scrape off your percentages from those?

I was thinking something along the lines of...
Tallow 30%
Olive oil 30%
Coconut oil 15%
Castor oil 5%
Pine Tar 20%

I have never made this and I keep going back and forth between how much of the oils I want. I want high tallow to counter act the softness; although, since I've never made it, I'm just guessing. I would like high olive oil for conditioning, but I don't want it to be too mushy. This recipe doesn't look the greatest in Soapcalc, and I have no idea what sort of numbers I should be aiming for.

I was thinking to add 5% as well. With your 30/40/30 mix, when adding the pine tar to your recipe, would you equally scrape off your percentages from those?

I was thinking something along the lines of...
Tallow 30%
Olive oil 30%
Coconut oil 15%
Castor oil 5%
Pine Tar 20%

I have never made this and I keep going back and forth between how much of the oils I want. I want high tallow to counter act the softness; although, since I've never made it, I'm just guessing. I would like high olive oil for conditioning, but I don't want it to be too mushy. This recipe doesn't look the greatest in Soapcalc, and I have no idea what sort of numbers I should be aiming for.

Oh yeah I am tired. I forgot the PT. :wave: I had to do some fanagling with the soapcalc. Can't remember off the top of my head what it turned out to be but it took about half an hour to refigure at 20%. 10% was easy but 20%? Well... go to soapcalc and punch in the numbers and you'll see what I mean. no matter what you do it'll end up being really soft. try to add lots of coconut and it will dry you out. Good luck!

PS Your recipe looks like it should work out fine. Maybe split the tallow and coconut evenly as another variation.

If you have a hard butter, like cocoa, that could add hardness without being so cleansing, and decrease the olive, that might make it more manageable. I wonder if a touch of beeswax would help without taking anything away form the bar. I haven't used beeswax in soap before but it would certainly add some firmness. Has anyone used it with PT?

I love how dark your bars got, Seven. I made 15% and mine are lighter than yours. Must be the brand of PT. I try to keep the soap as simple as possible but I may add a little charcoal next time.

If you have a hard butter, like cocoa, that could add hardness without being so cleansing, and decrease the olive, that might make it more manageable. I wonder if a touch of beeswax would help without taking anything away form the bar. I haven't used beeswax in soap before but it would certainly add some firmness. Has anyone used it with PT?

I love how dark your bars got, Seven. I made 15% and mine are lighter than yours. Must be the brand of PT. I try to keep the soap as simple as possible but I may add a little charcoal next time.

Agreed, seven's is pretty dark but lookin good. A true master of the craft.

Do you think stearic acid would work? I have a 1lb bag of it. I am trying to figure out the best ways to incorporate it by melting it so I don't get little white specks. :cool: Maybe melt 1/8 c stearic in a warm oil mixture, wait for an hour stir with a stick blender then cool?

Last edited:
You have inspired me. I have printed out the recipe from Soapcalc and am planning on making this tonight! :)

Do you think stearic acid would work? I have a 1lb bag of it. I am trying to figure out the best ways to incorporate it by melting it so I don't get little white specks. :cool: Maybe melt 1/8 c stearic in a warm oil mixture, wait for an hour stir with a stick blender then cool?

Have you worked with stearic acid before? I think it's a pain to work with; although, it's essential for the shave soap I make. It's melting point is 156.7F meaning that you would be soaping very hot!

I actually like Seven's really because it's dark! I love that color.

Stearic is so known to seize soap that it would be an interesting experiment for you to add both SA and PT, both of which accelerate so much. I don't know if a small amount like a tablespoon would be enough to add hardness to the soap or would be enough to cause a seize. YOu shall have to tell us what happens!

Last edited:
Back